Don't Leave

Guys, I'm on a roll. This isn't incredibly long but it's the fastest I've written something in a long time and that feels SO GOOD. This one is kind of special- it's from Grey Street but an untold scene until now, and Harry and Elle are drunk, and Elle is being 100x sweeter than she ever is. 

Enjoy! 

[Harry]

There's a fuzzy feeling to it.

The lights that Ellison has hung above her bed are dim with a low twinkle. It smells like sugar cookies and clean laundry in her room... well it did before she lit the joint that's between her lips now.

She has more blankets on her bed than she usually does because I've been staying over a lot lately and she's still sometimes a little picky with some form of a barrier in between us... and she says I steal all the blankets from her when we do try to stay under one together. I'm almost surprised that she hasn't dragged a second mattress in here for me yet... instead she always just shares hers. But the blankets are soft and her hair keeps tickling at my shoulder and she smells good even with the alcohol on her breath and the joint between her lips.

I think it feels fuzzy because the lights twinkling above our heads feel warm and she feels warm next to me too, not bothering to mound up the blankets so our arms won't touch. I think it feels fuzzy because I can't entirely remember how we got back to her house and it's definitely out of character for her to let me be this close to her while in her bed.

Our backs are on the mattress, lying on top of blankets and pillows, her comforter bunched up on one side, and our feet dangle off the end with our shoes still on. She's blowing smoke into the air while a song that I recognize but can't remember plays in the background. Then she passes me the joint and I take it from her hand.

"I never told you fuck you for making me leave that party," she says with a dry tone as I take a hit from the joint, coughing just a little as I pass it back to her.

"Ellison," I smile. "You hate those parties."

I can't remember the walk to her house, how we got from point A to point B but I can remember right now and I can remember leaving the party in that house that I'm convinced is going to fall apart every time I step foot into it. It wasn't my idea to leave the party, it was Matt's, but I was perfectly content with ducking out early because I was plenty drunk by that point and there wasn't much more reason to stay.

Matt seemed worried. The most worried I'd ever seen him, so it felt right to listen to him.

He said, "Harry, there's this guy here... um, that, well, Elle used to see... in a way. And I don't think he's found her yet and I don't think she's seen him, but I do think that they shouldn't see each other."

My immediate reaction was one that happened on the inside, like this ripping apart of my heart as Matt said something about Elle being with someone. I haven't told him that I'm basically in complete love with her. I've barely told that to myself. That feeling made it pretty clear that I was though because thinking about her with someone else... while she isn't even with me, it felt like such a hard concept to swallow.

There was a moment where I didn't want to get involved because Ellison never likes to be told what to do and she never likes people's attempts to control her life... and I could tell Matt was getting close to requesting that from me. This of course puts me in a dangerous position.

I have no doubts that Elle could crush me if she wanted to.

And that's exactly what Matt did. He said, "Can you please convince her to leave. I know you two are only friends, but if you want to be her friend now, Harry, you'll get her to leave."