Ch. 10 -Hospital Visits

Mandy Nash

I couldn’t breathe. My hands had flown to my mouth and I was staring at the ice rink in front of me with a mixture of horror, disbelief, and shock.

Ryan had just gotten in a fight with someone from the other team and now he was lying unconscious on the ice.

His coach and a medic had come running out onto the ice and practically all of his teammates were crowded around him. Hordes of people in the audience had jumped to their feet, gasping and staring in horror at where he was lying.

I had never seen Chaz look so upset. His eyebrows were furrowed and he was kneeling on the ice next to Ryan, a strange and slightly distant expression on his face.

The guy who had slammed Ryan into the side and practically punched the shit out of him was standing a distance away, staring in slight shock and clenching and unclenching his fist, which was smeared with blood.

The fight had honestly just seemed like another violent (and wholly unnecessary) display of testosterone between the two teenagers, but that had been before Ryan had somehow gotten knocked unconscious.

I swear, boys are ridiculous.

(Or, at least they are when they’re playing hockey.)

It took me a moment to fully understand what was going on.

It wasn’t until people began shouting and crying frantically, and a group of uniformed people carrying a stretcher hurried into the arena that the seriousness of the situation fully hit me.

I jumped out of my seat and bolted down the aisle, rushing past Natasha and Greg without another word. Both of them called after me, but I ignored them, pushing through people and sprinting down the steps of the stands until I reached the side of the rink, where they had now gotten Ryan onto the stretcher. People were shouting and a loud buzz of commotion had spread throughout the entire arena.

“Sh*t.” I muttered under my breath. I watched as my aunt and uncle rushed down towards where they were now carrying Ryan off of the ice and throw a doorway towards an exit.

My aunt looked like she was on the verge of tears and she was rushing after them, calling Ryan’s name worriedly, and my uncle was busy yelling at various people loudly, evidently furious.

I hurried up to my uncle and said in a rush, “What’s going on?”

He stopped yelling long enough to give me a strange look, as if wondering who in their right mind would interrupt him when he was in the midst of such a rant.

When he realized it was me, however, he quickly shook his head, exhaling. “They’re taking him to the hospital. The damn bastard who started beating him up knocked him out.” He shook his head bitterly, an expression of the utmost disgust forming on his face. He swore loudly, slamming his fist down on one of the rails nearby.

As he turned and began yelling at people passing nearby, I turned and hurried after where the stretcher with Ryan had disappeared, hoping I’d be able to catch them before they left.

He couldn’t honestly be that hurt, could he? 

I mean, he’d taken a beating, but...was it enough to send him to the hospital?

An immediate sense of hurt, concern, and worry washed over me and I quickened my pace, pushing past people and searching around frantically, trying to figure out what to do.

Ryan was like the brother I’d never had. He honestly meant so much to me, and I don’t know what I would do if he was seriously injured.

Biting my lip nervously, I knit my eyebrows and glanced around wildly for an exit.