54. The Start Of The Breakdown

**** My deepest apologies. ****

It took me longer to get back home than I would like to admit. Not only did I not know where I was going, but added to that, my mind was in shambles thinking about Jay and what he had said.

A warning meant a threat. He threatened me. Us.

I needed to clear up whatever it was that Namjoon had done to him before I found myself facing 2 groups out for my head.

But before I could even get a word out, I was cornered the minute I walked back into the building.

I thought I was in trouble for leaving unannounced and unapproved; maybe it would have been better if I had been.

"Have you seen Jungkook?"

Everyone looked panicked, and it caused an uneasy rumbling in my stomach.

"No, but I have important things to discuss with Namjoon - "

"He's not here either. Official business with Taehyung."

"Where did they go - "

"Out. Hey, are you listening? Jungkook is missing."

"He should have been back hours ago, but he hasn't returned. Do you understand?"

I looked at them, worry growing and realization dawning on me. "That means Angel is gone too?!!"

This was bad. I couldn't leave Angel, not after the dreams, and especially not now, with Seung-Jae out for blood. Jungkook could take care of himself, I was sure, but Angel was still delicate.

"Can you stop being psycho about your old friend for one second and listen. You need to to find him. We can't leave, bosses orders."

My heart was fluttering weakly, as if I would pass out with worry, but I did my best to nod convincingly.

"I'll find them."

I had no idea how good I could be at running until today. But the thought of Angel and Jungkook alone, the image of the horrible things Seung-Jae had planned for them, for us, was enough to keep my legs moving until they burned, and it felt as if my lungs had shriveled up and collapsed. But still, I ran.

Please, just this once, don't be right Jin. Not about this.

I hope I'm wrong too, Sin.

I nearly stopped running when I heard Jin's voice in my head. This was different, I wasn't dreaming, he wasn't here, so how did I hear him?

Unless I was dreaming, in which case I could confidently say that my life was turning into a constant existential crisis -

This is real. You have to hurry, or you'll be too late.

Too late for what?

I wish it wasn't true.

After that, I could hardly think. I couldn't even feel my legs at this point. The lack of pain was good, but the numbness was worrying. I tried to focus on the path ahead, rather than delving into the mass of topics swarming my head.

The sound of sirens only added to my panic, and I had to tell myself that Jungkook and Angel needed help to keep from running away at the sound of the police.

The wail of the siren got louder the farther I ran, and I realized too late that I was running right towards it.

That was for the best though, as I found that they had hit it bigtime. They were probably pissing themselves at the idea that they were personally responsible for the apprehension of 2 big gang members.

Namjoon and Taehyung, how were you stupid enough to get caught?

I waited for a moment, waited for them to fight back and escape. But they just let themselves get cuffed, staring at each other as they were shoved against the police car.

Fuck, I have to do everything myself.

I ripped my shirt and ruffled up my hair before preparing for the performance.

It's all about the execution. Pull it off well, Sin.

"Excuse me? I need help! Help, please, somebody," I stumbled into the opening, darting my eyes back and forth in a panicked frenzy. My arms weakly hugged my chest, my hands obviously shaking.

"Miss, it's dangerous out. You should have a man with you."

"I did, oh god I did. He - it wasn't good. They - they killed him! He was trying to protect me, they wanted to - and he stepped in, and he's dead! Oh god, he's dead!"

I didn't even need to fake the panting; I was still out of breath from the run over here.

"Do you think she's talking about the body down the alley?"

"Miss, if you'll just wait a minute, we can help you. But these men are dangerous, we have to take care of them."

"No! I can't wait, I need to get out of here, get home, you have to take me home!" Even I was impressed, feeling the tears streaming down my face.

Damn, I'm good.

I grabbed the nearest cop, pulling him off of Namjoon and clinging to him like my life depended on it.

"Miss - "

"They're coming! Don't you get it! We need to run! Get out of here, before they kill you too!"

I was relieved when Namjoon shoved the other cop and grabbed Taehyung's wrist.

"Finally, you morons took forever to catch on."

I slipped away from the cop and took off running, though, thanks to my endurance being shot on the way, Namjoon soon overtook me, and I grabbed Taehyung's hand to stay close to them.

We weaved through the alleys, and I found myself wondering if they cops even knew where to go anymore.

We ducked into a building long enough for me to pull out the key I had snagged from the officer and free Namjoon from the cuffs. Taehyung stood to the side secretively, and after a minute of hushed curse words, he had freed himself, a smug look on his face.

The sound of distant footsteps was enough to send us running again. We ran. And ran. And ran.

We only stopped running by accident - that being Namjoon tripping over something and consequently pulling us down with him.

I fell on top of it. It was firm, stiff and cold, giving my body chills where I touched it.

Like a body.

Oh god, it was a body.

My blood ran cold, and I scrambled backwards, staring in horror.

The body belonged to a young man. Someone who's life was just starting - and now it was over. He was young, maybe even younger than Bobby.

This was my first time seeing an aged dead body, and also the first time I hadn't been the killer. How long had he been dead, just lying here? An hour? Two? I couldn't tell, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to know.

It was a horrific feeling. It was like my life was over, just as the boy's was.

This time, the tears were very real, and very warm against my frozen face.

"J- Jungkook."

~ and then there were 5 ~