3

May, 6th, it was the day of Josephs funeral.

"Joseph Lee Burman was full of life and joy. He was always smiling and laughing; no one would have ever known if he was sad about something because he would always smile to cover it up. He was caring, handsome, dashing, smart, even determined. It's a shame we have to meet together in these conditions; Joseph will be greatly missed." The speaker sat down and Aaliyah came up to the podium.

"My brother was my everything. He was like my son. I did everything for him no matter what it was. I regret leaving him the way I did; I shouldn't have. But I also can't stand up here and not notice all the actors in the crowd. Out there acting like you guys were there when he was in the hospital cause of his asthma, or cause of his little league sprains, I barely even know any of you."

Messiah came up to the podium and tried to pull Aaliyah away, but she wasn't finished ranting.

"Nobody was ever there for him. Nobody! Not even his excuse for a mother, it was only my boyfriend and me! And for you people to sit out there crying like you care, man, that's some bull- "

Messiah quickly moved the microphone from in front of Aaliyah's mouth and pulled her off the stage.

He rushed her out of the church.

"A, you need to chill," Messiah told her.

"Nah, Jo barely even liked half of the people in there and they were crying like they care, I'm not about to just sit and go along with it. This isn't a play or something Messiah; it's my little brothers funeral." She said while grabbing onto his hand.

"Our little brothers funeral." Aaliyah mumbles.

A few months go by, Aaliyah's 16th birthday was in a couple of weeks, but she didn't feel well. She woke and ran to the bathroom to throw up. She's been doing that for two weeks now.

"Messiah, can you take me to the doctors? I want you to come with me; I'm scared."

"You still getting sick every morning?" He asked.

"Yeah, it's probably nothing, I just want to be sure. Can you take me?"

"I'll call and make an appointment," Messiah replied.

Afterwards, they went on with their regular days. Messiah went to work, Aaliyah stayed at home and cleaned up around the house. Then she started to think; she doesn't just want to sit around the house cooking and cleaning every day. She thought to herself about studying for her GED test. That way she can go to college if she wanted and get a decent job.

She got on the computer and started to research how she would do it. She saw different websites that looked legit but costs a lot of money, and then some that didn't look very legit but were cheap. She would have to talk to Messiah about it before she made a final decision.

Messiah came home later that with some flowers a giant teddy bear. He sat it on their bed quietly while Aaliyah was in the shower. He then went into the kitchen and saw their laptop open on the counter. When he looked carefully, he saw the websites about the GED test.

When she got out of the shower, she saw the gifts sitting on the bed. She took the note out of the flowers and read it aloud.

"I never thanked you for everything you've done for me. Leaving home to be with me, always being faithful, taking care of me. Nothing you do goes unrecognized. I love you Aaliyah Jamya Burman." she read aloud.

She admired her gifts and the card before getting dressed and going into the kitchen. When she walked in, she saw Messiah bending down in front of the computer.

"I was going to talk to you about it when you got home, it was just on my mind, so I looked into it," she said nervously, she didn't know how he would react.

"I want you to do what makes you happy Aaliyah, but I'm just scared that if you go off to school, you'll pull away from me. I need you A. but you know I'll pay to put you through school. You can be all educated for our kids." Messiah said.

Aaliyah laughed and walked over to Messiah. She kissed him and ran her fingers through his curly hair.

"I'll never pull away from you Bub. I couldn't imagine not staring into those hazel eyes all the time. It's you and me until the end; you know that. And kids? Who said I wanted kids big head?"

"My head not big, and I said it. We're having kids, a whole football team."

They sat in the kitchen just talking for the longest. It was moments like these that made her fall in love with him. She knew he wasn't perfect, far from it, but he was worth it in her eyes.