2 6

Aaliyah Pov

I had been home from the hospital for about 2 weeks now. It's like i'm numb to everything. I'm barely eating, not talking, not sleeping, all I can do is cry. I never thought that I would be the one to lose a child, but I guess no one thinks that it'll be them. I'm so angry at myself for not taking care of my body the way I should've been. I failed my baby, I even failed Messiah. As much as I knew I shouldn't, I can't help but to question God. Why me? Why my baby?

A few minutes have gone by and I hear Messiah come into the house. He walks into our bedroom with a big bouquet of flowers, some balloons, and one of those huge teddy bears.

"How did you carry that all up here by yourself?" I asked while smiling and getting up to meet him at the door.

"I'm superman baby. I got you all this stuff, to say i'm sorry, and also thank you. I'm sorry for putting so much stress on you, and i'm sorry we lost our baby. I was so in love with it, and it sucks that our lil person isn't here anymore."

I wiped the tear that had fell from his eye, he's taking it just as hard as me. He continued talking.

"But thank you at the same time. Thank you for even carrying my baby, thank you for sticking with me through everything we've been through, this is just a trial and I know when the time is right, we'll have a chance for another baby. But Aaliyah you've gotta get out of this slump. We've got to move on from this in order to recover. We'll get you therapy if you feel it's necessary, i'll get you a puppy or something, anything that'll make you feel better."

"Thank you for the gifts, that was sweet of you. But I don't think i'll ever be the same again. The pain of literally feeling my baby die, was something that I wouldn't wish on anybody. It took a toll on me in every way possible. All I want is my baby back. I know I didn't want a kid yet, and I was mad at you for getting me pregnant. But I just want my baby back." I laid back down in the bed and started crying.

"I'm sad too, but i'm not finna sit in this house and cry every second of the day like a weak ass nigga. You don't need to either. Get up and get dressed, you got 30 minutes or else ima call your whacky ass mama." He left the room.

"What that bitch gone do?" I asked while throwing a pillow in his direction.

"You know she gone lay hands on you, don't play." He responded while cracking up like he just told the joke of the year.

I rolled my eyes and continued laying in the bed until I heard him on the phone with someone. I got up to go listen to his conversation.

I know this ugly ass boy not calling my mama for real.

"Nigga stop calling my damn phone on that gay shit. If you gone do something, do it. These phone calls back and forth are weird as hell Jerry, and I'm not on that shit."

He's all the way downstairs and I can hear him as if he was standing right beside me. I'll be glad when he beats Jerry ass and calls it a day. He's called Messiah's phone like 5 times this week alone.

Well since I'm up, I guess I'll go ahead and get ready.

Messiah POV

After getting off the phone with that loser, I called up one of my old homies I used to hoop with a couple years back. I heard he had a custom G Wagon for sale and I want to get it for Aaliyah. I'll do anything to get her in a better mood, I can't lose both of my babies so she gotta get herself together.

"Aye is this Michael?" I asked into the phone, making sure I had the right number, even though I knew for a fact that I did.

"Aye bro, this is Messiah, what's been going on dawg?" I ain't gone lie, it's nice talking to somebody I used to know back in the day that made it out the slums just like I did. Most of my old friends dead and gone, but Michael took a different route than us. He's really into stocks and shit like that, plus I think he flips houses.

"Everything going well on my end, you know how I get down. But look, I was calling you about that Benz, you still got it?" By this time I had gone outside to talk because I wanted to surprise Aaliyah. She thinks I don't be knowing when she eavesdropping from the top of the stairs, I just never say anything. Hell, I do the same thing when she on the phone to be real.

"You mind sending me some pictures of it? Or shit I could just stop by and see it, either one."

"Alright cool just send me the address and I'll be by there in the morning."

And with that, I hung up the phone and went back into the house. I walked back into my bedroom to make sure Aaliyah was getting dressed like she was supposed to be. I scrunched my face up and the outfit she had on.

"What you got on?" I asked her while looking at them ugly ass clothes.

"Messiah I don't feel like dressing up. They just sweatpants. What's wrong with em?"

"They ugly as hell, why they shaped like that? And you don't have to dress up but you could've at least put on some jeans or something. Not them county jail pants inmate number 12345."

"Boy fuck you. Ugly ass." She threw her hairbrush at me.

"Ugly just like them pants. And that's why your brush broke. Come on, let's go."

We were driving for a few minutes until I heard Aaliyah sniffling. I looked over at her and saw that she was crying again. I sped up a little bit so I could hurry and get us to our destination, I knew where we were going would make her feel better. But not without putting my hand on her knee first, just to let her know that I was here for her.

About 10 minutes went by before we pulled up to this building. I parked in the back so Aaliyah will be surprised by what it was when we get inside.

I opened her door for her, and we walked hand in hand all the way there.

When we walked in, she immediately started crying. We were at her old childhood church. It had just been rebuilt after it caught on fire a couple of years back, and it's gorgeous. Even though i'm real deep into the streets, and I consider my self a hood ass nigga, i'm still a God fearing man, and I know my woman is the same way, that's one of the things that attracted us to each other. If we didn't put God into the center of our relationship, it probably would've failed a long time ago.

Church wasn't in service, it was too late in the day, but her old pastor was here and I figured if they talked, she might feel a little better.

Aaliyah has a picture of her when she was a little girl and her pastor right on her bedside table, one of the first female pastors i've ever seen.

"Hey pastor Green. How've you been?" Aaliyah shyly asked her. She had her back to us, so when she turned around and saw Aaliyah for the first time in who knows how long, her face had completely lit up.

"Oh my goodness, hey baby! I've been good, and yourself?" Pastor Green eagerly pulled her into a hug, and they stayed like that for I don't even know how long, I walked away and started looking around, figured i'd give them some time to talk.

While I was looking around in the back, I came across an office with some chairs, so I went to sit down.

When I looked up, I saw the picture on the desk, I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing shit.

"Oh hell." I said out loud . It was a picture of Jerry and pastor Green on the desk, from a wedding photo shoot.