01

scarlett's pov

I walked into symphony orchestra, cello in hand, ready to play my audition piece for the solo in the end of the year concert, where college conductors would be, watching us perform, well the select few soloists.

Not a single nerve ran through my body, I had been in the musical spotlight since I was a young child, playing piano recitals for weeks on end, touring around the country becoming well known. Eventually I quit doing that after I felt like it was too much for a seven year old girl. Now here I am ten years later, about to graduate, and still stressing myself out with music.

I have the option to choose between if I want to do a cello or piano solo, I chose cello, the  cello just seemed to be a better fit for me than the piano, even though I still spend hours upon hours slaving over the keys, playing until my fingers were numb and felt lifeless.

And then I'd go practice my cello, playing repeatidly until my fingers bled from doing vibrato on the strings to hard. My father put all the pressure on me, since my twin Violet is to put it in the nicest form, an absent minded bitch. She has no clue what is going on, and never cares about what others think, except for her 'play buddy' Calum, he always comes over when my father is out at work mettings or working away from home.

I'd be sitting in my room, and then I'd hear them it was awful, it was unbearable, so I would go to Tiffany's house. "Good morning Miss. Dawson, are you ready for the auditions today?" Ms. Pierre asked, walking over to her podium where she would conduct us.

"Ready as I'll ever be, Ms. Pierre." I replied with a smile, but I was panicking, my future could be on the line. Pulling my instrument out, and putting rosin on my bow, I placed my cello upright, and began to practice my composition one last time before I show what nights of staying up, screaming and crying paid off for. Some might think I take this to the extremes, but nobody understands, music is all I have left, I have no desire to study anything else in school; no other job desire; just to make music.

"Goodmornig class," Ms. Pierre greeted the symphony orchestra, the grand total of around nintey of us; it was larger than previous years, and more driven to succed. "We're going to be holding auditions for the solos in the spring concert, who would like to start off?" Tiffany rose her hand, smiling at me and Ms. Pierre, she was the concert mistress, she could do amazing things on her violin, it was amazing. "And Tiffany will be kicking this off, and Scarlett, would you go next please?" I nodded at her, as she turned her attention to Tiffany.

She took a deep breath before playing a small section of Sibelius Violin Concerto in D minor. Watching her bow glide over her strings, and staying in the same spot was amazing, seeing her go into sixth and fifth position was un-natural for me, since I don't play the same instrument as her. As she finished, Ms. Pierre clapped for her, as did the rest of the symphony orchestra, we were known as the two show-offs in the class, I don't see why we should hide it if we have it inside of us. "That was beautiful, Tiffany." Ms. Pierre praised her, Tiffany bowed for the class and sat down back in her seat. "Scarlett, are you ready to play for us?" She smiled at me, my nerves seemed to vanish, I became extremely confident.

"As ready as I will ever be." I smiled back at her, then at Tiffany. Placing my cello's neck on my shoulder I began to play "Winter" from Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons. My bow began moving across my four strings; hitting every note perfectly, smiling to myself as I played it from memory, I had been working on it since winter, ironically since it's called Winter. Getting lost in my music I forgot I was supposed to stop playing, I finished it off, and nobody seemed to notice.

Ms. Pierre smiled at me, "that was beautiful Scarlett, well class." Before she turned towards the clock, we had five minutes left, "I think we all know who got the two solos for this concert." She smiled at Tiffany and I. "You may now pack your things up and head out, see you all tomorrow, don't forget to practice your music class." She shouted as we all walked into the instrument storage room.