15

scarlett's pov

Hurting people has always come naturally to me. Breaking them, and destroying them.

It's what I do. Since Calum left, I haven't been okay, the highly anticipated days where I would be left alone; to do nothing but bad. The days where the happiness would slowly fade; away.

He somehow managed to bring an ounce of light back into my life; but not enough to be a ray of sunshine.

The famous quote from Shakespeare;
'to be or not to be that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
or to take up arms against a sea of trouble
and by opposing, ending it, to die to sleep no more.'

Made me think, is it really worth the agony and the undeniable pain of suffering longer without him? The happiness to be put back in my life.

The answer is no, it's not worth the anger, and hurt. for revenge.

Happiness is key to a good life. Which is what I want for myself. "Scarlett?" Calum's voice rang through the door, "I have to leave." He whispered, slumping down.

"Okay." I opened the door, grabbing his hand and walking him to the car. Then to the airport to end this fateful weekend.

T H R E E Y E A R S L A T E R

// scarlett //

I am in my human behaviors class, for the last time before graduating early; then leaving for medical school. It's been a hell of a journey; Calum never came back to New York. Hasn't been home since.

Why?

He's made it big. College drop out to do what he loves, play soccer. I was expecting him to never return back; who would? When you have everything you've ever wanted in front of you. "Ms. Dawson?" Ms. Blacks voice rang through the room. "Are you alright?" Over the years we've moved on from the incident from freshman year.

"Yes," I paused, sneezing. "I'm fine." But are you? The voices are relentless; always annoying me with their words of negativity.

"Class is dismissed!" Ms. Black cheered running out of the class, teachers got happier about school ending than the students; probably because they won't have to deal with us any longer.

"Bye Scarlett!" a People around the campus called as I walked out of the building. "Bye Scar! Good luck with the little one!" My classmate, Alex called running to a silver truck.

I sighed, walking towards the hospital where we'd do demonstrations, the traffic at an all time high for the year; more than likely due to college ending for the year.

The air was sharper than it had been for the past few weeks since it became spring. "Hi, Scarlett." A nurse called, running to the ER.

"Hi." I replied, laughing because she wouldn't be able to hear me. "Hi, I'm here to pick up Mila Dawson." I walked to the receptionist at the front of the child care area. It was a nice little area for the hospital employees and students to come and leave their kids, with adult supervision.

"In the back." The nurse, Rose pointed me towards the back of the child play area. I walked in, looking in the back, with no sign of Mila.

My palms began to sweat as I walked around the room, looking for my daughter. I turned around sharply, on the verge of a mental breakdown; which hasn't happened since I found out I was pregnant with Mila. The faint noises of pounding on piano keys came from behind me; turning around I saw Mila, sitting in the corner laughing and pounding on the piano keys of the small keyboard.