A Wedding and a Dance

One Wednesday Lily and I found ourselves being escorted from class and into Professor McGonagall's office where we found James sitting quietly in a pair of tartan armchairs. I shot Lily a confused look and she shook her head at me in amusement.

'Petunia's wedding is today, and James is my guest, remember?'

'Oops, I may have forgotten.' I admitted.

James snickered in the corner but quickly shut up when McGonagall gave him the stink eye, the fierce Scotswoman then cleared her throat and led the three of us to the large fireplace in the left corner of her office. I stepped in first, staying quiet as I grabbed a handful of Floo Powder, I gave everyone a tight smile and said loudly and clearly.

'Number Seven, Windsor Lane, Cokeworth.'

In a flash I was gone and soon I fell out of my parent's fireplace with a cough, I rose to my feet and dusted myself off, I was followed very closely by Lily who narrowly avoided knocking me over. I was pulled into a tight hug and I laughed as I returned my mother's embrace, I knew it was her because of the perfume she was wearing, Lily had given it to her for her birthday and I had picked it out.

'It's so good to have you both home again.' Mum said as she moved on to Lily.

'Nice to see you too mum.' Lily laughed.

'Lovely to see you James, now go and get dressed girls.'

We sprinted to our bedrooms to obey, I slipped into my red dress and quickly twisted my hair into a low hanging up style, leaning over the mirror I did my makeup and I was swiping a deep burgundy coloured lipstick onto my lips when Lily walked in wearing her green dress. I was instantly reminded of the Potter's Christmas party, we had both been wearing similar colours to what we wore now, and I smiled at the memory, I had long forgiven Sirius for what had happened that night and now I only thought of Fleamont and Euphemia with a bittersweet smile.

'I'll trade you a black clutch for your gold one?' Lily asked as she rifled through a drawer.

'Okay, have you seen my black shoes? The ones with the ribbon ties?'

'Under the stairs on the shoe rack.' she muttered absently as she twirled in front of the full-length mirror.

'At least you won't flash your knickers this time.' I told her with a wry smile.

Lily huffed and threw a Converse shoe at my head, I ducked just in time and the bedroom door opened to show mum all dressed up and with a stern expression marring her pretty face.

'Enough messing, it's time to go. Violet get your shoes on.'

I hurriedly shoved a pair of earrings through my ears and Lily stopped me before I exited my room, she pointed her wand at me and muttered the spell she had used before the Christmas party.

'Ultima noctis.'

I smiled at her before jogging down the stairs, the skirt of my dress swaying from side to side as I went, my bare feet hit the floor with a soft slap and I opened the small cupboard under the stairs to grab my shoes. I placed one hand on the stairs to balance as I slipped my feet into them before crouching down to tie the black ribbons at the front of my ankles.

'Ready!' I called out.

Behind me James was smiling at Lily with adoration and telling her she looked beautiful, I rolled my eyes and grabbed them both by the arm before shoving them out the front door. Locking it behind me I followed the couple to dad's car and climbed in behind Lily who sat between James and I, upon realising we were all in the car dad started it and drove us towards the church.