Was That A Dig?

I expertly dodged the eyeliner that Lily had thrown, she hadn't been aiming at me of course, I had merely chosen a poor time to enter her room. She tossed a half-hearted apology over her shoulder and continued to glare at herself in the mirror.

'Stressed?' I asked, bemused.

'You don't know the half of it, I just can't get my bloody liner to go right.' she huffed.

I picked up the stray eyeliner and handed it to Cassie who immediately closed in on my sister and told her to stay still, while they bickered, I perched on Marlene's bed and watched them.

'I can't believe you're leaving me.' I moaned.

'We're graduating Vi, stop being dramatic.' Marlene poked my ribs with a smile.

'You're leaving me here, with nobody but Cassie for company. What a miserable existence.' I wailed.

Cassie chucked the eyeliner at me with a silly smile.

'Go bother Sirius.' Cassie joked.

'I can't because him and the boys are having a last hurrah.'

The boys had pulled Sirius away from me shortly after lunch stating that they had important business to attend to, when I had pressed the matter, against my better judgement, they only told me that it was their duty to the student body to give them one final grand act to remember them by. James' exact words were "if we don't go out with a bang, we'll surely disappoint our fans".

'I can't believe it's almost over.' Lily said sadly. 'I'm going to miss this old place.'

'Me too.' Marlene agreed softly.

'If it's any consolation I'm sure next year is going to be dreadfully boring with just Violet and I knocking about.'

'We'll more than make up for the missed fun on the holidays don't you worry.'

Marlene's tone was cheerful as she kissed Cassie on the nose, we had the summer all planned out and the whole group had convened to discuss how we would navigate next year, especially with Cassie and I moving into our final year while Marlene and Sirius moved on to new ventures. Marlene wanted to start studying Magical Healing and Sirius wanted to dabble in the world of Auror's. We had all agreed to meet up for a few days over the Christmas Holidays and Sirius and Marlene were going to visit Hogsmeade on Valentines Day, Cassie and I planned to sneak out of the castle for all the birthday's and for our birthdays we were undecided on whether our friends would try to sneak into the castle.

'Are we all ready for the feast?' Alice asked as she poked her head in the door.

We all followed her to the Great Hall where we found the boys already seated at the table, with a smile I slid in next to Sirius.

'Hello darling.' he greeted with a kiss.

'Hey, what did you guys get up to?' I asked curiously.

'I can't tell you or James might actually kill me but keep an eye on Slughorn.'

I eyed the Potions master suspiciously before my attention was drawn by Dumbledore as he stood to give his end of year speech.

'Another year has come to a close and I find myself once again amazed by my students, this year the world has welcomed a new darkness, the Ministry doesn't want me to speak about this but I feel it is my duty as Headmaster to warn you all. There is a man, though he perpetuates a rumour that he is more than a mere man, he calls himself Lord Voldemort and he wants to purify us all. He uses the darkest and most wicked methods to achieve his...dream. I tell you all this because I believe you all need this information to protect yourselves.' Dumbledore paused to survey the room and I noticed his eyes lingering on the Slytherin's before he donned a large smile. 'On a lighter note and with a somewhat heavy heart, it is time to bid our beloved Seventh Years goodbye as they begin to move into the world and follow their hearts desires, I see before me aspiring healers, Auror's, artists, government officials, ministry workers and incredibly talented witches and wizards. Though some of you have spent a majority of your time here testing limits and –'

'Was that a dig at us?' I heard Peter whisper.

'Absolutely.' James responded proudly.

I turned back to Dumbledore but my focus was drawn to Slughorn who had stood up and was strutting about behind the teachers chairs like a show pony, with mild horror and a tinge of amusement I watched as his legs began to distort, within a matter of minutes he had become a centaur of sorts. He had the hindquarters of a horse, and a luscious mane of hair to match but when he opened his mouth to speak he neighed like a horse rather than speaking as centaurs do.

The Great Hall was in uproar as McGonagall tried to catch him with some help from Professor Dumbledore who barely concealed a smile, the students were in tears with laughter and Peeves was flitting between tables trying to ignite a food fight. Sirius, James, Peter and Remus exchanged their most discreet high five and congratulated each other while Lily attempted to glare, the effect was somewhat marred by the smile on her face.

Once Professor McGonagall had reversed what the boys had done and Dumbledore had convinced everyone to return to their seats the hall was silent once again, save for a few stray giggles and the odd hiccup.

'Well, I daresay that was indeed a fine end to another school year, one might even use the phrase "going out with a bang".'

James sniggered as Dumbledore winked at us before beginning the feast.

It was bittersweet moment, we were happier than ever but hyperaware that this was the last time we would sit at the Gryffindor table like this, Sirius squeezed my hand and smiled at me, a heart shattering smile that I loved dearly and couldn't help but return.

It was a bittersweet moment, but a perfect one nevertheless.