Triumph

The sound of voices woke me, though when they stopped abruptly I thought I might have imagined them. I tried opening my eyes, but my body was so exhausted that I couldn't move.

'Sirius...there's someone in your bed...' Peter whispered.

Footsteps thundered towards me but stopped short of my back, a hand caressed my hair softly.

'It's just Violet, she looks like she's been crying...' Sirius' voice trailed off as he wiped something from my cheek.

Nobody said anything as they got ready for bed, I kept trying to open my eyes but gave up and drifted off again until the bed dipped with the weight of Sirius, he closed the drapes and carefully slid under the covers, pulling me close he pressed a kiss to my forehead and tucked me safely under his chin.

^.^

When I woke again it was morning, or perhaps afternoon, there were no sounds in the room apart from my breathing and the occasional snore from Sirius, I was still tucked under his chin and I winced as I peeled my cheek away from the bare skin of his chest, the heat in the room was practically sickening. As I sat up he jerked awake and offered me a sleepy smile, after stretching for a moment he sat up against the headboard and pulled me to him, so I was straddling his lap.

'Not that I'm complaining but shall we discuss why I found you in my bed last night?'

His voice was soft as he broached the subject and I fiddled with my fingers before meeting his gaze.

'It's stupid.' I muttered, embarrassed about how I had let my thoughts take over.

'I doubt that, Vi, you were crying.'

His hands gripped my face gently and he directed my gaze towards his, his eyes begging me to tell him what was wrong so that he could fix it somehow.

'I just...I'm scared Sirius, Voldemort isn't going to stop until he gets what he wants, there's a war brewing and I don't want to lose the people I love.' my voice hitched as I was once again greeted by the image of Sirius' death.

He pulled me forward and wrapped his arms around my waist as I clutched his shoulders.

'It's alright to be frightened darling, we all are, but we can protect each other. Nothing is going to happen to you while I'm around, I promise.'

We held each other so close I don't know how we had the ability to breathe, I didn't bother telling him that it wasn't me I was worried about, I was too focused on feeling his heartbeat against my chest, it soothed me knowing that it was beating strong. A shiver ran through me as he dropped a kiss on my neck and I felt him smile against my skin, pulling away I couldn't help but smile at the stupid smirk on his face.

'What?' I asked.

'You're wearing my t shirt.' he noted.

I laughed at him as his face transformed into a smile and looked down at the blue t shirt.

'It's comfortable, I wouldn't be expecting it back anytime soon.' I warned him.

Sirius shook his head as he leaned up and pecked my lips.

'It looks better on you.'

I blushed at his comment and it only deepened when James threw open the drapes and raised an eyebrow at the position we were in.

'Shall I come back later?' he asked cheekily.

I swatted at his chest and he feigned hurt, clambering off Sirius' lap I rose to my feet.

'I'd better go get dressed.' I announced shyly.

Sirius dragged himself from the bed and glared at James for disrupting us.

'Don't look at me like that, we have our last Quidditch practise for the match today.'

James snorted and rolled his eyes as Sirius ignored him and grabbed me by the waist instead, throwing his hands up in exasperation James went to fetch his broom from beside his bed, Sirius kissed me softly on the lips before releasing me.

'I'll see you later darling.'

With a wide smile I left the room and snuck back to my dorm to get changed before going to the library to meet Lily and Cassie to study. Though Sirius and I hadn't really talked through my panic attack the night before he had somehow made me feel better, just being in his presence helped me most of the time anyway, but his sweet remarks and gentle kisses erased all my worries and put me at ease. Merlin, I really loved him, I only hoped he felt the same.

^.^

The day of the Quidditch match between Hogwarts and Beauxbatons had finally arrived and Lily, Cassie and I screamed in excitement, while Remus and Peter covered their ears, as we watched the Hogwarts team take to the sky, Sirius swung his Beater bat around, excited to have been moved from his usual role as Chaser, James hung in the air across from him and he seemed to be admiring his own bat with curiosity and wonder, Marlene was flying lower than the rest of the team in anticipation of the snitch's release. With the shrill screech of a whistle, the game began.

I watched awestruck as the players zoomed through the air, Beauxbatons caught the quaffle first, Leo passing it off to Alonso who attempted to get it past our Keeper, a burly looking Hufflepuff girl called Jodie, she kicked the quaffle at the last second and it flew through the air, directly into the hands of a Slytherin chaser by the name of Kurt who immediately passed it to a Ravenclaw. It was a glorious sight to behold, all the houses of Hogwarts working together.

The Ravenclaw passed back to Kurt who threw it with all his might, it sailed through the middle hoop of the Beauxbatons goals and we were all on our feet cheering, I trained my eyes on Sirius and James who appeared to be having more fun than they should have sending bludgers after the Beauxbatons students, I noticed Leo was a regular target and stifled a smile.

The commentator, a fellow Gryffindor named Iris, was having a hard time keeping up with the goings on, the players were working harder than I had ever seen and I was so busy trying to keep up with it all that I didn't notice the bludger flying directly at my face, as I finally locked my eyes on it I screeched. Before it could make contact, it was batted away with so much force that it smashed into the arm of the Beater who has sent it at me in the first place. I shot James a grateful smile as Iris screamed insults at Claude, the Beater. James flew off again after giving me a smile and Sirius came to a stop before me.

'Are you alright?' he asked me with a tense jaw.

I nodded my head with my hand resting on my chest, trying to still my erratic heartbeat.

'I'll kill him.' he seethed.

I was about to calm him down when Iris' voice boomed across the pitch.

'Black, stop flirting with your girlfriend and get your arse back on the pitch!'

Sirius showed her his middle finger before leaning over and kissing me, my cheeks burned red as the stands whooped and hollered at the display on affection.

'My heart cannot take the cuteness.' Iris wailed dramatically before McGonagall gave her an icy look. 'Sorry Professor, Beauxbatons replaces Claude the Snake with...Annabelle DuLac, ooh a fantastic bludger from James Potter! Kurt Sutton has the quaffle, he passes to Isobelle Thompkins – ohhh intercepted by Leo Martine!'

The game continued, and I was on the edge of my seat, gripping Cassie and Lily's hands tightly as we waited to see who would triumph, both teams played well, if not slightly dirty, and they were now neck and neck. Suddenly Marlene snapped into action and zoomed towards the clouds with the Beauxbatons seeker right on her tail, without warning Marlene began diving towards the ground and everyone watched with bated breath before erupting into cheers as she closed her hand around the snitch.

Hogwarts had won and the stands were going wild in excitement, but it would be nothing compared to the after party in the Common Rooms.