The First Day of Hogwarts

It had been three weeks since we returned from America and I was currently sitting in a carriage with my sister on the Hogwarts Express. She was trying to assure me that I would love Hogwarts just as much as she did, but I had tuned out, the carriage suddenly opened and two of Lily's friends walked in. Alice Jones was small with pixie cut brown hair and wide chocolate brown eyes, she had a little button nose, but she was feisty and took no stick about her height. Geneva Brown was the opposite, she was tall and curvy with brown curls and blue eyes, her nose was slightly crooked, but it didn't detract from her beauty, she acted like a sweet, innocent girl but I had always gotten a bad feeling from her, whenever she was around my stomach bubbled with anxiety. I had met them on a few different occasions and while I had instantly connected with Alice I had never clicked with Geneva.

'Hey Violet.' Alice chirped happily.

'Hi Alice. Geneva.' I greeted as cordially as I could

Geneva gave me a curt nod while Alice gave me a tight hug.

'How come your uniform's plain?' Alice asked curiously.

'I had to get a firstie uniform. Once I'm Sorted it will change to my House colours.' I explained.

'Oh. So, are you excited?'

'I'm actually kind of nervous.' I admitted.

'What? Why?' Alice frowned.

'Well, you know me. I don't make friends easily.'

Geneva muttered something under her breath and I ignored her.

'Don't be silly Vi, you're amazing! People will be queuing up to be your friend and besides, you've always got us.'

I smiled and for the rest of the journey we talked about our summers, Alice almost peed herself laughing when I told her about the day I embarrassed Lily in London. When the food trolley came around we got some Droobles, Cauldron Cake's and Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans before eating ourselves into a giddy state. Lily went to find her friend Severus and we didn't see her again until five minutes before the train pulled into the station.

^.^

As the magically pulled carriage stopped in front of the school I couldn't help but gasp. I had never been to Hogwarts before and I was amazed by how big it was, it was at least three times bigger than Beauxbatons and twice as beautiful. When we reached the huge double doors, I split off from Lily and the other two girls to walk over to the woman who was calling me. She was an older woman with her hair pulled back into a severe bun and a set of spectacles perched on her straight nose, she spoke with a Scottish accent.

'You must be Violet Evans; I am Professor McGonagall. Follow me please.'

I did as she asked and soon found myself standing amongst a group of First years. As the tallest person, there I stuck out like a sore thumb which didn't help my nerves, I felt as if everyone was staring at me on the walk through the Great Hall. I stood patiently while I waited for McGonagall to call out my name, seeing as she had already passed the E's I assumed I would be the last to be Sorted. I assumed right.

'Evans, Violet.'

I walked up and perched myself on the stool before the old, worn hat was dropped onto my head.

Ah, another Evans. Let's see. Smart, like your sister. Kind hearted, again like your sister. Caring, loving, protective and generous, much like your sister. You however are mischievous. Hmm....brave, fierce, short tempered. Yes, I think, perhaps it better be....