Off limits

"Ok one more class to go.." Thomas sighed as he entered the classroom. He looked ahead of him scanning the faces of his new peers, attempting to find one he knew.

He spotted an empty seat and sat there. He sighed and placed his heavy textbook on the desk. He looked to his left and noticed the same girl.

The long blonde hair. The proud smirk on her face.
The striking eyes.

He stared in awe. She was gorgeous. Most probably the best looking girl in the school.
And she was his new peer?
But she was new, that was for sure. He knew everyone at the school and he would have surely remembered her.

She noticed him staring and turned her gaze to meet his.

"Hi." She said politely with a sweet smile.

Thomas blushed and replied shyly. "Hi."

She turned her head back to face the front, waiting for the teacher to walk in.

"I-I'm Thomas. Thomas Wayne." He said as he reached out in an attempt to shake her hand.

She turned her attention to him once again and gently took his hand and shook it.

"Lucy Napier, nice to meetcha." She said.

Thomas nodded as he let go of her delicate hand and turned his attention to the instructor, who now stood before them.

--

(The next day)

"Hey man!" Thomas's friend Aaron slapped Five's with him as they walked towards each other.

"Hey," Thomas said calmly.

"Man what's with you? You gotta stop thinking so much," Aaron said with a smirk, playfully punching Thomas's arm.

"Nah I'm not thinking about much," Thomas lied. As they walked to the classroom, Lucy passed walked down the hall, grabbing both Thomas's and Aaron's attention.

Thomas turned around to continue watching her walk away.

Both boys were now joined by their other friends as the hallway filled with more students.

"Yeah, she's hot." Aaron smirked.

Thomas turned back to face him. "She's my classmate. She seems nice." He said shyly.

"Oh she's very nice...to look at." Aaron started laughing loudly.

"Who are you talking about?" One of their other friends, Damien, asked.

"Lucy Napier," Thomas sighed.

"Oh...no. She's off limits bro," said Damien.

"Why? She got a boyfriend or something?" Aaron asked.

Thomas furrowed his brows.

"No but she's got a dad. And not just any dad." Damien said as he leaned in. "That's the Joker's daughter."

It's as if someone delivered grim news to Thomas. His eyes were wide in shock and his chest filled with devastation.

The Joker and Batman were long time enemies. Rivals? Maybe. But they hated each other.

Hated? No, not quite. But there was a tension.

Over the years they had mellowed out, or so it seemed.

After Thomas was born, Batman tried making peace. He tried pleasing everyone.  But of course, the villains took advantage. They always would. That's how they earned and maintained their reputation.

And to find out Lucy was the progeny of the most vile villain Gotham had ever known...Thomas's stomach turned.

But why was she here now? Where was she before? It's senior year and it's the first time he had noticed her.

"Besides," Damien continued, "could you imagine what the Joker would do if he found out someone was trying to get at his daughter?"

Thomas tried not to make his annoyance too obvious. But he brushed it off.

"Especially you Thomas. With your dad being Batman, I would stay away from that pussy in particular." Damien continued.

His friends chuckled. The ringing of the bell echoed through the halls and soon they dispersed.

Thomas walked to his class in defeat and once against sat next to the girl he had eyes for.

She had a smile on her face once more and greeted Thomas when he sat next to her.

"How's your day goin'?" The girl scanned his face as she tried making conversation.

Thomas nodded. "Not bad so far. Almost over." He smiled.

Lucy nodded with a smile and turned her attention to the instructor.

--

The bell rang and suddenly a fat, middle aged man walked into the classroom. All eyes were on him.

"Is this room 320? I have a presentation on business economics." He said with a huff.

"No, actually this was a history class and the bell has rung indicating the end of the class." The instructor politely stared.

"Dumb fucking bastards. The people who run this institution are morons. You can quote me on that, my name is Len Matthews." He turned to the door and walked out. "Fucking morons..." he muttered as the door slammed behind him.

Thomas sat in shock and turned to Lucy, who was chuckling to herself. She turned to him. "I like him," she said as she stood up, picked up her books, and walked out.

Thomas grinned as he watched her leave. Hard to believe, he thought.