Chapter 4: The Adventure Begins

Just when I thought everything was going to work out well, I suddenly remembered something: the bed covers, and because of that, we didn't get to leave early morning. Hoping to put everything in place more quickly, I told Haile to wash them for me while I dusted the building, and of course he refused again. It was as though he was not thankful at all.

I sneered at him. I knew I could threaten him again, but the thing was, he could also threaten me in return. I could already hear his words clearly in my head that he wouldn't bring me along if I continued to force him to wash the blood-stained cloth.

"Fine. I'll wash this myself while you will try to get everything that we need into the saddle bags. I've already packed my clothes and yours."

His face contorted into one of horror, and he pulled at my handiwork. "Do I really have to wear this thing? It's making me feel uncomfortable. You should have at least gone to buy a better fabric. This is really... unsuitable."

I stood there with arms akimbo and squinted at him. "What's unsuitable?" He looked fine in that navy blue shirt and dark brown pants, and looked extremely well-to-do with his pair of King Richard boots, those he'd worn when I first saw him.

He blinked a few times, obviously thinking hard on what it was that was unsuitable. I just huffed in reponse and started to get to work.

"Are you done yet? It's almost afternoon already," he whined while leaning against the opened door, his arms crossed.

I stopped cleaning the floor and turned to glare at him. "No. I am not done yet," I said through clenched teeth. "But I would if you could just stop complaining and help me with the chores! You want to go quickly and finish up with your business, don't you? And have you even filled up the bags?"

"Yes, I have like you told me to. At least I helped that much." He sounded angry. Why was he getting angry? "Can't you just leave this place be and clean up when you come back?"

I rolled my eyes and turned back, scrubbing harder than before. "As I've said before, no, I can't. It would be disrespectful to Marlene."

"Oh, God. Marlene again? Just who is she?"

"Someone who's like my mom," I mumbled.

There was a pause before a sigh came. "What do you want me to do?" I glanced back at him, surprised that he finally gave in. He looked away. "But don't get me wrong. I just want these things to be done with so that I can start on my journey."

I smiled. "Get another cloth on the rack beside the bucket used for washing, and help me finish with the floor. Once we're done, we can go."

He looked shock. "That's all? How much have you done? Have you already finished with the rest of the house?"

I nodded. "Well, I figured you want to leave quickly, and I didn't want to cause you to drag it on any longer." He just looked at me blankly, and I continued to grin, but more shyly. It was true that I'd done the housework more quickly that I ever had before. When he continued to stand there for more than a minute, I exclaimed impatiently, "Well? What are you still standing there for?"

He blinked, and I knew he'd gotten out of his reverie. "Right."

"In the meantime, you'll tell me where you're planning to go."

He stopped just outside the doorstep and got back in. "I'll need a map for that," he told me before returning to what he had to do.

I raised an eyebrow. He does know where he's planning to go, right? But I was wrong. He didn't know where he would be going. I smacked my forehead hard, and started to laugh humorlessly. What would I have expected? He was a dragon who came down from the heavens just recently. How would he know of the places on earth?

I took out an old map of Marlene's, and laid it down gently on the dining table. He had said that if he could have a look of it, he might know where he would be going. I let him be for a while. I stood on the sidelines, and looked at him and of how he furrowed his brow in concentration. I smiled at his seriousness and told myself that I would have to try to find out what business it was that he would even agree to let go of his pride by getting on his knees to do chores, something that was obviously not his job up in the sky -- he kept mumbling under his breath furiously, as though berating someone. I couldn't blame him. Do dragons clean their homes, or rather, nests?

He suddenly stood up. "I've got it. We're going to Mera Reef. It's over here."

I walked over to get a look of where on the map he was pointing at. Hierra is a country which is shaped like a whale. This wooden house was located on the NorthEast part of it, near the bent of the 'tail'. Not to far away, nearer to the borders was Narla, the village where I was born in. Mera Reef was near the 'belly' of the whale, meaning, it was located in the South.

"Are you sure it's the place?"

He shrugged. "It's just a guess, but I'm sure. They have something there that I can take this thing around my neck away."

"Take it away?"

"I have to. It's taking away my ability of using magic, and I can't speak of anything that has happened to me. Well, it's not like I want to tell them to you anyway."

And there was it again -- the irritating side of him. I pushed out my lower lip in annoyance. "Who is the 'they'?"

He gave a sardonic smile. "They are the most horrifying people of all, most of them cannibals, always eating their own kind. They might even think of eating us up when we arrive," he said dramatically.

My eyes widened, and my heartbeat quickened. "They... They'll eat us?" I gulped, then laughed nervously. "You're lying, right?"

"No, I'm serious. There will be a lot of danger along the way." His face came closer to mine. "Why? Are you scared? If you are, then, continue to stay here and be free of enemies. Which appeals to you more?"

I gulped again and thought it through. Well, dangers are expected in all adventures, right? I shouldn't let that get the better of me.

But of course, if I continued to stay in the house, I would still feel the strong bond that I had with Marlene when she was still alive. Every part of it held memories, and all of them helped me remember how she looked like: raven-black hair always tied in a bun, a headband tied around her head horizontally to keep out any stray hairs when she did her work, her dark brown eyes and her smile that brightened up the darkest parts of my days.

If I left... I would be able to get away from my boring life. No more farming, no more a fixed supply of food that would help to keep starvation at bay, no more hot fires on rainy days and no more books. Sure, I did pack a book or two, but they were those that I felt would help on the journey. I had already told myself that I would read up on all the books that were stacked up under the bed, and now, that would not be able to be achieved.

But I realised I didn't care. It wasn't like I would be gone forever. I would be back.

With determination, I said, "Danger."

He looked surprised. "What?"

"Danger appeals to me more than anything right now."

He lifted his arms, and let it fall, making a snapping sound. "Whatever you say. We'll be leaving soon. Get ready." And he walked out, looking vexed.

I breathed out a sigh before sitting down. Untying my hair, I felt it fall down to my waist. Slowly, I tied a braid on one side of my head, pinned it, and tied another on the other side, leaving my fringe alone. Once done, I took hold of all the hair, and tied it into a tail with my black ribbon. Walking over to a small box, I opened it and took out the two thin, silver headbands. It belonged to Marlene. I fingered and admired them before putting them on, making sure that it was in place and that my fringe would not get in my way of sight.

Then, I stood up, grabbed my bow and quiver, and left my home.

-----------------------------------

I don't know how it'll be... But I just might be updating this story more slowly. I want to complete 'The Library Seirune' asap. I'm really sorry about this, and I hope that you readers would wait patiently if I didn't upload the next chapter even after a week has passed.