Chapter 12: True Identity

Thank you SO MUCH for the book cover!! :DD

And oh hey, it turns out that this chapter has become my favourite so far. (: What do you guys think? :D

---------------------------------------------

Chapter 12: True Identity

My heart thumped wildly, and I could feel myself flush with heat. A part of me was definitely shocked by the loud sound and the sudden attack, and how nearly it would have hit me... and another part of me was stunned by how Haile was holding me so tightly, making sure that I didn't get hurt.

My head was still pressed against his chest when I looked up at him. His head was turned to the back, towards that gaping hole which once accomodated the door.

All was quiet for a few seconds. The silence felt deafening after that boom, but otherwise, it was quite comforting. It partly assured me that we weren't in danger for now. Not yet. And Haile knew that as well. Without a word said, he let go of me, and pulled me up. The feel of his strong arms around me lingered there, but I told myself not to think about it. This wasn't the time. There wasn't a need to anyway. It was nothing more than him being a gentleman, something which every male should be fulfilling.

Slowly and cautiously, we walked out of the big, round gap. From the other side of the wall, I could see that it was also blasted off. I panicked when I thought if the attack had also hit another one of the guests, but sighed in a huge relief when I found that none of them was hit. I had asked the man how many, other than Haile and I, had taken a room, and he had replied, "Two." And there were two others exiting their room, obviously woken up by the disturbance.

When we reached the first floor, the houseowner and his wife were frantic, asking us what had happened. Haile just gave them one bag of the money he had, and brought both of us out. I just waved goodbye to them, showing my gratitude by smiling widely. My heart felt like it was stabbed when I saw their flummoxed and anxious faces.

We ran to the back and got Icydash ready for yet another run. Her friend was fidgeting in her stall nervously, and I gave her an assuring pat before getting onto Icydash.

"What just happened?" I finally asked.

"Well, obviously we are under attack. The Air soldiers must have discovered our location!" he shouted angrily, and cursed. "How did they find out so quick?" He paused, before continuing, "It must have been because of the campfires we've made the nights before." I nodded, agreeing to his predicament.

Presently, I heard a whooshing sound. Swinging my head to the back, I saw that there were two figures chasing after us... on foot... but they seemed too fast. They were either Air Magicians or Air Rebellions, and the answer was obvious.

Turning my waist to face them, I took my bow (something which I hadn't gotten a chance to use at all... since Haile was able to get meat all by himself without my help) which was hooked onto the side of a bag, and an arrow, and got ready to aim. I knew I wouldn't be able to get them, but this was only how much I could do.

It was difficult. For the first time ever, I was aiming at something moving. But once I was quite sure, I let go of the arrow... only to see it getting dodged. My heart sank. Was there really nothing I could do?

"They're getting nearer, aren't they?" Haile asked over the wind.

"Yes," I said, my voice shaking a little due to the disappointment I felt in myself, and I wondered... why was it that Haile was still bringing me along on this journey? He could have told me to go back after leaving Mera Reef and getting me healed. So, why?