Chapter 17: Imagination

I was more than delighted when they actually allowed me to join in their training session, but there was also a sad feeling tugging at my heart. Once their training ended, they would have to return to Ireale to fight their battle, and I... I will be sent home. Who knew whether I would be able to see Haile again. Or how long until I would be able to see him again, if he ever decides to pay me a visit. If he even wants to see me again...

I forced the depressing thoughts out of my head, and maintained an indifferent expression. I wouldn't want any one of them to ask questions which I wouldn't want to answer to.

Haile took it upon himself to explain some things to me. In their dragon world, there are five main elements, and each element had its own advantage and disadvantage against another kind of element.

Then to everyone, he said, "So, of course, if we just train ourselves by fighting against the element we're weak against, even Air wouldn't even get to us, apart from Narivere." Narivere gave a solemn nod, but her features remained determined.

Haile wanted me to join him in fighting against Firvin, but I declined the offer and told them I would be at the side, working on my powers first. I wanted to strengthen myself before fighting each of them dragons. I wouldn't like it if they were going to look down on me, because I wanted myself to gain more power over my own magic as well. And I wouldn't want to become an opponent that they would easily defeat.

Firvin laughed at my little excuse -- that was what he called. An excuse for what, I wasn't perfectly sure. That I was afraid of them? And then Firvin continued on by saying what I did back at Gossamer -- how I was able to stop his and another Air Dragon's magic so easily. "As easily as breaking a twig," was what he compared it too. Watrin and Narivere hadn't believed what Firvin said, but immediately gave their compliments after seeing that nod from Haile. I'd blushed again, thanked them, and told them it had not been 'as easy as breaking a twig'.

Positioning myself not too near them so as to allow them more space, I started on my own practice by asking myself: how would I like my magic to respond, other than through movements? I'd already told myself that I would do it by giving orders to my Ice with my mind, but obviously it hadn't worked back there. It was too chaotic, and my mind was only focused on wanting to dodge attacks to avoid getting hurt. The only best way was to think up of a way unthinkable to even the best Magicians (or dragons). Something simple and hard at the same time.

And then, it came to me.

At the end of one hour, Haile called for a break, knowing well that neither of us had had our lunch yet. The growl in my stomach after that declaration made me realised how ravenous I was. Haile, Watrin and Firvin volunteered to go out to hunt for some meat. Dragons liked their meal fresh after all. And that left Narivere and I. Both of us sat beside the large piece of land that we'd been standing on earlier under the shade.

There was a moment of silence settling between the both of us before I tried to break it, deciding it would be better than the feeling of awkwardness. I took the chance to make better friends with her as well.

"How long have you had that short hair? It looks wonderful on you," I said shyly, feeling a little nervous at the same time.

She smiled back sweetly. "Thank you. I've had it this way since last year." She reached out to touch a little of my hair. "Yours looks great too. It's not often that I see girls have their hair tied up like yours."

I laughed a little embarrassingly. "Thank you. It's just something I'm used to since I'm always outside the house under the hot sun."

We exchanged a few more lines before silence came again. That was when I intended to ask questions I knew Haile wouldn't even care to answer if I asked.