Chapter 8: Invasion

Thank you for the banner! :D

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8: Invasion

I woke up on my own and for a time, I had no idea where I was. And for a moment there, I almost panicked when I realised that I was underwater. What striked me as odd was that I was actually lying down on something soft and comfortable, an extremely wonderful experience after having slept on dirt for the past few days. In addition to that, I was also surrounded by a big bubble.

The memories of what happened the previous night flowed back to me slowly, and when it did, I sat up. It was dark all around. The waters had taken the colour of a nice, navy blue, indicating that it was already night here in this world called Mera Reef, the world of Merpeople. Even the idea still seemed absurd to me, but only a little.

I looked around, hoping to see Icydash around. Somehow, the loneliness had returned. Waking up, finding myself alone was something that, up until now, I couldn't get used to. But then I realised that Icydash was still up above, and I wondered, worried, how she was faring. Was she still there? Could she have ran away? I shook my head, not daring myself to think further. Icydash was a loyal friend. She wouldn't.

Groggily, I walked out of the door. Looking from left to right, and back to right again, I made up my mind to get myself out of this complicated corridor. Every turn seemed to take me to the same place again, even though it was obviously not the very same place. After what felt like forever, I found a merman floating by me. I asked for directions, and he answered willingly, though it would have been a whole lot better if he had done it with a smile and a friendly tone. I needed someone to break the fog from my mind, though of course, it had already been done so naturally for quite some time, and I was sure that the rest of the day would include a me who felt more alive than ever.

After taking a few turns here and there, I finally found myself in the music room, the very same from yesterday's. Only, it was empty and more dull. There was no one at the organ, nor at any of the other wonderful instruments around.

Something shifted on the left, and I swiftly turned my head in that direction, thinking for a moment there that maybe a creature of some sort would want to have me as their dinner. But, of course, it was none other than King Nordine. He looked rather tired, something that was of a surprise to me. I wondered if it was because of the Knife he used.

I did a small curtsy. "Good morning, Your Majesty," I said it calmly, no longer feeling the fear I had felt before.

He smiled radiantly at me despite the fatigue. "Good morning to you, Ryma, though I should say it's already night here." He chuckled.

I blinked a few times to take in what he just said, and when I finally got it, I immediately bowed and apologised for the silly mistake.

"That's all right," the King said, waving it off and laughing a little harder this time. "Now, would you follow me?"

As he said it, he turned around, obviously not giving me a choice on whether I have to, so I followed after him through the door -- the very door that led to the secret room.

When I entered, I found that they'd placed a table and some chairs in it, all which looked like they were made with dead corals. How did they managed to squeeze them through the slim doorway? I didn't know, but I had a hunch, and that it was with the use of magic. It displeased me that they were relying on it, but I kept my own opinions to myself. The next thing I did not want was to be sent to an underwater prison.

Haile occupied one of the chairs, and the Queen in the other. Both of them looked up when we went in. While the Queen looked delighted to see me, Haile did not. He looked angry, and I tried my best to think back on what I did that caused him to feel this way.

He stood up. "King Nordine, what is she doing here?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, forcing him to make eye contact with me, and when he did, only for a slight moment, his frown deepened.

"Haile," the King grunted. "You have to understand that Ryma is the reason why you are here and very much alive. She has the right to listen in on our discussion. Don't you agree, Amereal?"

The elegant mermaid nodded her head, and I smiled at her, something which she returned. Haile gave a few frustrated puffs before getting back onto his seat.

Nordine sighed as he sat. "Now, please, get on with your story of what happened to Ireale."

I took the seat between him and Haile hesitantly, thinking that he would strike out at me anytime since he already got his powers back. I looked at him a little from the corner of my eye, thinking. Why hadn't I noticed that he was of royal blood before? He looked so regal and charismatic that if I was compared to him, I was considered nothing. I'm just a human.

Haile cleared his throat then sighed, his expression darkening. "We have been betrayed, and we were all very naive to have thought that Aero wasn't the one who was trying to get the throne."

Ireale? Aero?

The Queen seemed to have sensed my confusion. "Ireale is the home of the dragons. As for Aero..."

"Aero is my cousin, that is, if I can even call him my cousin." He shook his head. "No, he's not my cousin, and that bastard will never be!" He banged a fist down on the table, making bubbles swirl.

I flinched at his use of words. What wrong had Aero done to make Haile, his cousin, feel like that? And I was about to find out.

"He killed my father, that murderer did," Haile said it softly but audibly.

My jaw dropped. Aero killed his own uncle? I let out a long breath slowly, my anger towards Haile ebbing away.

With much fury, Nordine roared, "How did he do it? I swear in the name of Triton that I will take revenge!" In the midst of it all, I could also feel the sadness emanating from him.

"Air is Aero's element. He's an Air Dragon. And no, it's almost impossible for anyone to be able to kill my father singlehandedly. I didn't know how he managed to gather support, but gather support he did. He built his very own army. They are what we call the Air Rebellions. Air is able to cut ice, and with that comes friction and heat. The heat can melt the ice..." He trailed off. "The Air Rebellions did their best in trying to block my way to my father, and they succeeded."

The King's breathing had become uneven, it took quite a while for the Queen to calm him, though, not entirely.

"Come, then, tell us how you have come down to the land of the humans."

Just as Haile was about to open his mouth again, there came a loud bang. There were shouts from outside, some of the cursing and swearing, some giving out orders. There was panic in their voices.

"What's happening?" I asked, feeling a little scared.

Nordine swerved his head towards the noise before bringing back his attention. "Haile, does Aero knows about the ways of getting rid of that curse?"

He stood up quickly after a few seconds of deep thinking. "He's here."

"Who's here?" My voice shook.

He looked at me with a grave expression. "Aero's here. He's determined to get ahold of that Knife."