Chapter 9: Watrin

Chapter 9: Watrin

"We need to do something quickly. We need to think up of something to distract them." Haile looked frantic. "I can promise you, if Aero doesn't find it, he'll tear this place apart until he does, King Nordine."

"They wouldn't be able to find it," Nordine said it confidently, and I had no doubt that he was right, before finally leaving the room towards danger.

"Be careful!" Amereal shouted.

The bangs continued to grow in numbers and so did the chaotic shouts about and around. It felt unbelievable that sounds could still be heard so clearly underwater. I doubt any human being would even be able to utter an audible word with their head below the surface.

I just stood frozen, not knowing what to do. My heart was beating quickly. I wasn't worried about my own safety though, but that of the others. The guards. The King, Queen, and their children. The other merpeople. And I was most worried for Haile. If they were able to defeat him, an Ice wielder, before, they would be able to do it again. I stared at him, and gulped.

"What are we going to do now?" I asked in a whisper, looking from Haile to Amereal.

Right then, Ulrick and the others came swimming in with Ayleth shooting question after question, panick obvious in her clear, blue eyes. I immediately brought her into an embrace in the hope of soothing her.

Ulrick swam a bit forward. "Where's father?"

"Outside," his mother replied him. Taking that as his cue, he immediately swam out. Wallis was just about to follow his brother when the Queen stopped him. "Wallis, stay and take care of your sisters." He nodded and took his place beside his siblings.

"Why can't we go outside to help out too?" Arabella asked stubbornly.

The Queen rubbed her cheek. "I know you of all people wants to help... but your powers aren't fully developed yet. It's better to stay here where you're safe."

She frowned. "But I want to help."

The Queen's expression hardened. "Arabella. No. Stay here. That's an order from your Queen, not your mother, do you understand?"

I could tell Arabella wanted to retort, but she held herself back. "Yes, my Queen."

I eyed Haile. He gave me a knowing look, obviously thinking the same thing as I was. The attack was happening because of him. He would have to take full responsibility. He should know that well, but why was it that he looked so reluctant?

"You stay here with them," Haile ordered before leaving the room as well, together with the Queen.

I stayed like he told me to, thinking that if I didn't, I would probably cause myself to be tangled up in the frenzy. And most likely, I would be more of a burden than a help. I was just plainly... a girl with no powers whatsoever.

A gush of cold water brushed my skin, and I flinched a little, surprised. I thought nothing could break through the bubble surrounding me, but I was wrong. I looked around at the others in the same room. All of them were swimming about, and Ayleth was expressing her discomfort by rubbing her hands up and down her upper arms.

And then I knew why the waters were getting colder, and why Haile looked unwilling to help out earlier...

Swiftly, I turned to the three of them. "I'm going outside."

Ayleth's eyes widened. "What are you going to do?"

I sighed. "I know it's not a wise thing to do," I said quickly, after seeing their shocked faces. "But I think I need to tell Haile something..." And with that, I was off.