Home Sweet Home

"Cmon you'll like it here." My mom said as she heaved her luggage case through the front door. The early month  summer heat pouring in. Dad started with the boxes while I wondrously walked around my foot steps echoing. "You can make new friends-" I cut her off.

"Didn't have any to begin with.." I sighed. I looked back at her expression, she frowned.

"Here." She said handing me a box. "Take that up to your room then come back and get the rest of your stuff.." I took it and started to climb the stairs. My room was a good sized room though it was kinda plain. The head of the bed against the wall and a bedside table with a dark blue lamp. That was it. I sighed setting the box down. I turned to walk away when from the corner of my eye something caught my attention. I blinked.

"Huh?" I sighed out in confusion. "Coulda sworn I thought I saw someone walk by.." I spoke to myself while going into the hallway and looking around. I shrugged it off and continued down stairs to get more boxes.

"That's the last of it!" I grunted as I set the last (heavy) box in my room. Lazily I laid on my bed too tired to unpack. I let my eyes drift close and silence peacefully fill my ears.

"This is a uh..pretty nice place you got here.." A voice startled me. My eyes opened instantly. Suddenly I shot up. A boy around my age sat on the floor in front of my bed. He smiled at me. A simple and suttle smile.

"What the-" I got off my bed not knowing what to do. "Who are you?" I asked confused to who and how this guy got into my house.

"Oh uh, sorry.." He stood up. "Hi I'm Tate." He gave me a nod, his lips pressed into a thin line, and his eyes studying me. There was an awkward pause of silence between us while he walked around the small room looking at the walls.

"Um. Alright. Tate? " I was unsure at his name. "How'd you get in my house?" I asked tucking a dark brown lock of hair behind my ear.

"Oh uh. I'm a neighbor. Thought I would come say hi..." He said sitting on my bed. "The uh door was open and um I knocked. No one answered so.."

"So you just thought it was ok to come in anyway and walk around?" I chuckled sarcastically though he didn't seem amused.

"Sorry I'll go if you want-" he trailed off with a small apologetic smile.

"No it's fine." I smiled sitting next to him. "I was bored anyway. Stay if you want I guess. " there was another awkward pause. "My names Alice." I smiled awkwardly.

"That's a nice name." He grinned.

"So you live across the street or something?" I asked getting up to unpack my CDs, desperate to find something to do.

"Um.." He sounded unsure. "Yeah. Yeah I do." He moved to sit next to me on the floor.

I continued to unpack. "Cool, cool." I mumbled. "So what high school do you go to?" I asked, making conversation.

"Oh uh-" he started but was cut off by my mom calling me downstairs.

"Coming!" I yelled.

"Well I guess I better go. I'll uh see you later." He smirked.

"Sure. Want me to walk you out?" I asked.

"No, no. It's fine. Shouldn't be hard to find the front door. " he chuckled. I smiled to him.

"Ok well bye. " I said putting a cd on the bed side table but turning around to find him already gone.

I made my way down stairs to find my parents in the kitchen. "I can't believe it! It has a pasta arm!" My dad excitedly said (he's a chef).I rolled my eyes.

"Perfect honey." My mom sarcastically said to my dad while she put up some plates.

"Alice listen. We both have to work during the summer. So you'll be home alone during the day. Can you handle that?" My mom asked while my dad dialed the phone to get some Chinese take out. I nodded at her.

"I'll be fine." I sighed out.

"Great!" She smiled. "We are really gonna like it here." She said leaning on the kitchen island.

"You mean YOUR gonna like it here." I corrected her.

"I don't want to do this tonight Alice. " she sighed.

"Hey by the way mom did you know that our house is in the 'eternal darkness' tour? Its called the uh- Murder house.. I hope I don't get possessed or something." I said crossing my arms.

"Enough Alice.." She said annoyed.

"The only reason we have this house is because it's cheap . You guys couldn't afford anything else but this damn hell hole! " I half yelled.

"Alice.." My mom warned, her frustration showing in her face.

"Too many deaths to count..." I chuckled bitterly while dramatically fake stabbing myself and fake dying.

"Go to your room." My mom spat.

"Fine." I whispered retreating up the stairs.

I slammed the door shut angrily. "I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here." I spoke to myself as I slid against the door onto the floor. "It's ok. It's ok.." I said trying to calm down.

It wasn't fair. They dragged me out here. Why? So they could start a new life... So they could pretend I wasn't an embarrassment. I'm an embarrassment aren't I? For what I did. She can't even look at me the same anymore.... It's not my fault.. I don't know why I did it. My dad in the other hand.. Is nicer. He's always been there for me. In my Time of need, redemption? New home new life. Dragged out here to forget the past. But I don't want to forget it. I can't. I relive it everyday. I didn't want to leave. I don't know why I didn't want to. It's not like I had anything from my past to hold on to. No friends, no relationships, just the dark blue walls of my room. Comforting. Now replaced by new walls. New house. New life.

My thoughts were interrupted by knocking on the door. "Alice?" My dad asked softly. I stood up and opened the door. I gave my dad a polite, small, yet shy smile. "Hey." He said giving me a warm grin. "I uh brought you some take out.." He said holding out the small take out box.

"Thanks dad.." I said taking it.

"Hey Alice.." He started. He shifted his stance. "Don't be too hard on your mom. This moves been hard for us all. We just want you to be ok." He said. I nodded in reply. "Want me to close the door?" He asked.

"No it's ok." I sighed. "Leave it open." He nodded and left. I sat on my bed eating the take out. I sighed setting it down next to my cd on the bed side table and stood up looking out the window.

"You know this house was built in the 1920s?" A familiar voice rang out of the silence, a voice I wasn't used to hearing but somehow was interesting to me. I turned around to see Tate leaning against the doorframe.

"Back again?" I smirked sitting on my bed. I didn't know Tate but I sure as hell could use the company.

He smiled back at me. "Yeah. Well I guess I just couldn't resist hanging out with you.." He chuckled slightly causing dimples on his cheeks to form a bit. He ran his fingers through his messy blonde hair.

"This house is pretty cool. My favorite place is the basement." He tilted his head sitting next to me. I picked up my take out and started to take small bites though I wasn't hungry.

"Haven't seen it yet." I replied.

"How bout I show you?" He offered. "There's some pretty cool stuff down there that belonged to the previous owners.." He sighed.

"As tempting as that sounds my parents are eating down stairs and are probably gonna go to sleep soon." I raised an eyebrow getting up to throw away the take out in the small trash can I had, which also made me remember that I have to take the trash out... Eh I'll do it later.

"How bout tomorrow. We can hang out?" He asked almost pleading me as if he's never hung out with anyone before.

"Sure Tate.." I gave in rolling my eyes and smirking.

"Alright.." He smiled. "Good night Alice. See you tomorrow."

"You too. " with that he left.