Chapter 19: The Calm Before the Something

"How was your fancy people's party?" Seb asked as I walked in the door.

"Good," I said slowly, "a little weird." I hung the dress in its bag by the door.

"In what way?" he frowned.

"Well, I accidentally found the tablet." I studied my fingers casually.

"Wait, what? In front of people?"

"Yeaaaah, during Ewan's tour. But I had no idea it would happen! Seb, its energy is so strong, it actually yanked me sideways. It practically threw itself off of the shelf at me! They've already moved it to a new area, though, so they're obviously on top of things. I guess you can't be too careful, even at a private party. That's the fun thing about masks." I flicked the kettle on, wanting some relaxing tea.

Seb was still frowning, but he looked a little shocked. "You're right, that is a weird night. I think you should tell Gareth about it."

"That's what Enigma said too," I sighed resignedly.

"Oh, Enigma was there? That's good."

I resisted the urge to remind him that his baby sister could still take care of herself. "Yeah, I guess it was his turn playing sentry."

"Huh, I thought it was Shadow's night." He looked puzzled, but then shrugged.

"I didn't see her around," I commented.

"Well, you wouldn't," he gave me a condescending smile.

"I can feel her, though. She's got a particularly spiteful energy." I grimaced.

Seb laughed. "I believe that."

"Okay," I relented after thinking about it for a moment. "Tell Gareth I want to talk to him.

A few days later, I was reflecting that Gareth had been in my living room more times recently than I would have ever thought possible.

"Kenna," he said after listening to the whole story, "this is more serious than I thought. If I understand correctly, you could be used as a sort of bloodhound to seek out the tablet. That makes you even more valuable to Morgan than we guessed. I just hope he doesn't catch wind of this."

"First of all, did you just compare me to a dog?" I scowled at him. "And you're forgetting, Gareth, about that very human quality we like to call free will. Nobody will be using me for anything."

"I told you not to underestimate Morgan," he answered sternly. "I'm not sure how else I can put it for you. And I know you're not a dog, obviously. It was just an analogy."

"An analogy is a comparison," I retorted, narrowing my eyes.

"Kenna, is that really important right now?" Seb interrupted impatiently.

"Would you prefer I used 'honing device'?" Gareth asked, beginning to look amused.

"I'd prefer if I didn't have to be here right now, but it looks like we're past that," I said acidly. I knew I was being a brat but I was still just so frustrated about being clawed slowly into the Super world in spite of all the effort I'd put in to avoid it. It was desperately annoying to feel like I was losing my agency.

"It does indeed." His voice was level, but I wondered if he was full of glee inside thinking he was closer to getting what he'd wanted all along; Super me. Then, he rose. "Well, I'm going to look into this further since I have to admit it's all very puzzling. I think we should be extra vigilant with you in case he does find out about this."

"Oh, come on, are you going to step up security? He hasn't tried anything yet; I think he's afraid of me," I grinned with satisfaction.

As he made to leave the apartment, Gareth turned and said, "Kenna, the only thing Morgan is afraid of in this world is being unnoticed. I'll see you both again soon."