Chapter 30: Vanity Fair

Rigour was the name of the game for the next few days of Super training. I was still doing combat work and I had to admit it was a pretty killer workout, if nothing else. Things were going okay; I could fight passably, but it was not my forte. It was a little frustrating, though part of me also relished the challenge, even if I didn't like to admit it.

What I did really enjoy, though, was getting to use my skills in a new context. They'd still not found me a trainer, but they did find a use for me in training other Supers to build resistance to being thrown around a lot by someone like me.

My twisted little heart had a lot of fun showing off and tossing people all over a slightly padded room, and I even had my suspicions that this was Gareth's way of placating me. Honestly, the telekinetic exercise felt pretty good, and I felt a new, invigorating kind of energy surging through my head after each session.

All told, it probably wasn't surprising that I was feeling pretty weary on my first day off, and I slept like a baby that night. The next morning dawned bright, cheerful, and exciting; it was the day of Lexa's big fashion show and I was really looking forward to the whole thing. It wasn't every day that one was invited to a swanky, press-filled event that didn't involve Supers, with a handsome date on their arm. Well, and with their brother going stag, but whatever.

This was a day where I got to dress up pretty and feel fancy while watching some walking art, forgetting all about my double life for a few hours, I hoped.

By the time I got over to Lexa's place she was long gone, which I expected. The day of the show was always a ton of work for the designers, and she'd spend hours at the venue before it was time for all of that hard work to payoff. As promised, she'd left me free reign of her extensive closet, and she'd even put together some outfit ideas for me to mull over.

After trying on a ton of things, because who wouldn't, I finally decided on a divine sleeveless black jumpsuit with a plunging neckline and skinny legs that ended a few inches above my ankles. The material ended at my shoulders, where it became a delicate gold chain that made a T above a low, square back. A long, minimalist gold necklace, two gold bracelets and a killer pair of black stilettos completed the look. If I'm honest, I cursed the shoes the moment I put them on, despite how great they looked.

I left my hair loose in waves down to my shoulders, and went for a smokey eye, or my best approximation of one. Not long after I'd finished putting the final touches on, the door buzzed.

Ewan was waiting on the doorstep, dazzling in dark jeans with dress shoes, a navy sweater and an olive green wool overcoat which looked very chic and rather expensive.

"Did she dress you too?" I asked with a grin.

He ran a hand through his hair, and the long strands promptly fell back over his eyes. "I'll admit that I didn't have this just lying around. At least she trusted you to pick for yourself. You look stunning, by the way," he added appreciatively.

"Likewise. She knows what she's doing, that one. But won't you be a bit hot in that coat? It is almost summer, after all." I'd grabbed just a long, lightweight black jacket in case it got chilly later.

He grimaced. "Don't remind me. I think we should fly there."

"Yeah, that'd be low key," I laughed and rolled my eyes at him.

"I can make us invisible, remember?" He raised his eyebrows suggestively.

"Forget it, we're going to take the subway like regular people on a date to a fashion show." I turned back to the mirror to put on a pair of my favourite gold stud earrings.