Chapter 29: Training Day

"I cannot believe that Ewan Hamilton has been in love with you all this time and I never even noticed!" Lexa bemoaned loudly. Luckily, her cosy, meticulously trendy apartment was a studio with nobody else to listen in on any of our secrets.

"Well, I never noticed either, and your eyes are usually busy elsewhere. And besides," I lay back on her plush duvet with a whoomph, "nobody mentioned love. It's been like, a week, and we're still finding our feet."

"Okay," she said sceptically, patting my outstretched feet, "whatever you say. Anyway, as mind blowing as the knowledge that geek-chic Ewan is both a masked superhero and your secret paramour is, we do actually have other important things to discuss here." She rolled off the bed and padded over to her rather enormous built in wardrobe.

I sat back up to attention, self-indulgent dramatics over and eager to see what she'd been cooking up.

"And, voila!" She whipped open the doors and pulled a garment out to brandish with a flourish.

My first impression was of a lot of sleek, matte black. I ran my hand over the fabric, feeling it almost like a liquid, cool and soft, between my fingers.

"Put it on!" She urged. "You'll really see it then."

It was all one piece, like a full length, close fitting bodysuit, but it was made to look like two pieces with a cropped top, high waist and a large gap in between. It was like a glove on my body, yet flexible enough for me to move as I liked.

"Come out and let me see!" Lexa wheedled. She let out a low whistle when I emerged. "Damn, girl. Not bad if I do say so myself. Have a look!"

I walked over to the long mirror she'd gestured to, and took in a sharp inhale when I saw myself.

As I said, the bodysuit fit like a glove, hugging each curve of my body without suffocating any part. The sleeves reached down to my wrists, ending in slight points over the tops of my hands, and the legs reached down to my ankles.

But it was the wide gap in the middle that really caught my attention. It was made out of a gossamer like see through material that perfectly matched my skin tone and gave the illusion of separate pieces. Swirled into it were designs of crashing waves, as if whipped by ferocious winds, done in an iridescent lavender that seemed to come alive as I moved. They looked as though they were glowing tattoos on my own skin.

"The Tempest," I breathed delightedly, turning to grin at Lexa.

"You like it? I wanted to incorporate it somehow." She stepped up behind me to better admire her handiwork.

"I love it. It honestly looks like magic, Lex. And kudos for giving me something practical and yet stylish!" I cocked my head, studying my reflection and feeling pretty pleased with what I saw.

"I thought about giving you booty shorts, but who wants to be cold while they're fighting baddies, even in the holy name of fashion? You look like a stone cold fox, anyhow. You'll have noticed I included a built-in bra. It's meant to give you some extra support in case you end up doing any kind of crazy fighting, but also to make your boobs look great too. Might as well dazzle em as you kick their asses! What do you think?" she smirked.

"A success on both fronts," I laughed. "You're the best."

"It's all in the details," she nodded, looking immensely pleased with herself. "Speaking of which, I have a couple of accessories to round it out." Rummaging in her wardrobe for a moment, she pulled out a black leather jacket with thin lavender side panels, and a pair of killer black lace-up hightops with a small wedge heel. The only thing I was missing now was a mask, which I'd get from the technology experts at the Super HQ. It was, after all, the most critical part of the kit.