Chapter 20: The Something

We turned to find Morgan, flanked by Poison, Dopey and a male Villain I didn't know.

"Oh, no, not tonight," I muttered.

"I see you have one of Gareth's watchdogs with you," Morgan went on, nodding politely to Gaia. "Unfortunately, if you were considering doing anything drastic, you do appear to be outnumbered. Not that conflict will be necessary, I hope."

"Well, not exactly," said yet another new voice. Enigma materialised beside me. "I doubt you're much use in a fight, Morgan."

"Oh good, this one's here," Morgan answered, sounding delighted. "You're very interesting. Two watchdogs are less than ideal, I admit, but we must roll with the dice we're dealt. Perhaps you should let Kenna decide for herself?"

"I think you know my answer, Morgan," I scowled at him.

"Well you see, Kenna, I've recently learned something very interesting about your talents, and it's become even more ideal that you join us. I can offer you a very attractive benefits package, and I'd really implore you to reconsider. I'm afraid I don't give third chances." He settled back, appearing to wait for my answer.

"Piss off," I sneered, and turned to walk away. I heard Enigma smother a snort of laughter.

"That's really just not the answer I'm looking for," Morgan took a step forward.

I whirled back and threw my hand out. Morgan flew backwards and against a tree, as if caught in a gale. I was seething with anger. "What part of 'no' is so hard for you to grasp, you utter creep? It's the answer you're just going to have to accept, because you're not going to get another one," I snarled, whipping up a wind around him that pushed the Villains around.

The male henchvillain started towards me, but Engima was on him in an instant. "Don't even think about it," he growled, putting the dude in a headlock.

Gaia raised her eyebrow threateningly at Poison, waggling her fingers as vines started to creep out of them. The Villain smirked, but didn't move.

Morgan was still, somehow, unflappable. It seemed as though he wasn't willing to get into a full battle, because he said, calmly as ever, "we didn't come here to fight, Kenna, only to offer you an opportunity to reassess. Clearly, I've underestimated your resistance. I won't do that again. Good evening, all. Nice to see you in action, Supers. Especially you, Mr. Enigma. Poison, Jumper, if you would?"

Only now did I notice that Poison had edged closer to Enigma, who was still pinning down the struggling male Villain.

"Enigma! Watch out! Gaia! She'll knock you right out!" I yelled helplessly, but Poison was too quick. With a wink at me, she blew a cloud of her dusty toxin over Enigma, who went limp instantly as I watched in horror.

Capitalising on my distraction, Dopey leapt forward and seized Morgan's arm, managing to teleport him right out of my telekinetic storm in the blink of an eye.

"Gaia, can you bind them?" I pointed at Poison and the other Villain, who was also sprawled flat out, probably a collateral victim of the toxic mist. Before she could even react, Jumper reappeared, grabbed ahold of both of them, and disappeared.

"Damnit!" I shouted, furious with myself for not noticing Poison's threat sooner. Knowing that Gaia was okay, I ran over to where Enigma lay, and put my hands on his chest. He was breathing steadily and rhythmically, which suggested Poison had put him to sleep the same as she'd done to me. My panic lessened a little, since I'd been worried that she could do a lot worse, or that he'd react differently. "She's got toxic breath; she put me under when they kidnapped me. I should have warned you both."