Chapter 23: Unwelcome Invitations

Two hours later, we were dancing around the kitchen to some radio banger, trying to hold in our giddy laughter. I'd still not heard from Seb to let us know he was on his way, but I'd started dinner anyhow in case he'd just forgotten to text. He couldn't be much longer and we were both hungry already.

"So we're going to be presenting the fall line next week, remember?" Lexa brought up casually, like runway shows were so commonplace in life. For her they really were.

"Mhmm, and you've got a new coat in that line, don't you?" Lexa's designs were always gorgeous, though she was still a junior designer.

"Right. And I have three tickets for the show to give to whoever I want, so I was hoping maybe you and Seb could come, and then you could bring a plus one? Could be Jackson if you're feeling that." Obviously she wouldn't want Seb to show up with a date.

"Um, hell yes I'll be there! Will you dress me or what?" I waggled my eyebrows at her.

"I will give you free reign of my closet so you don't embarrass me," she teased. "Do you think Seb will be able to make it?" This time she didn't make eye contact with me.

"Well, I can't promise on his behalf but I bet he will. I don't know of anything swim wise he has to do next week besides practice. Which reminds me," I glanced down at my watch, "it's seven now and he said he'd be here by now. Maybe I'll give him a call."

When I dialed his phone, I was immediately greeted by his voicemail. No rings at all. I frowned at the screen, as if it'd magically show me something different, and then tried again. Voicemail. "Lex, what happens if you call Seb?" I asked, though I knew pretty well what the answer would be.

"Hmm, nothing. I can't get through," she confirmed.

"Maybe the service in here is being a bit spotty. I'll run downstairs and see if it makes a difference from outside. If you could watch the food on the stove that would be awesome." I jogged out and into the elevator. When I got downstairs I jogged straight out the doors and past Stan the doorman, whom I barely glanced at in my haste. As it turned out, it made no difference to getting through to Seb's phone. I tried a different tactic, dialling Ewan instead.

"Hey Kens, what's up?" He answered after one ring.

"Hi Ewan, I'm just looking for Seb. I think his phone's dead, and he was supposed to be home for dinner. Did he stop by to see you guys or have you talked to him since the meet?" I tried to keep my voice casual.

I could almost hear him frown as he answered. "No, sorry. It's just Grant and me here and neither of us have heard from him in the last couple of hours. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," I reassured, though it wasn't working all that well for myself. "You know how absent minded he can be. I'm sure he just lost track of time with the team."

"I can ask Tristan if he's with him, if you don't want to talk to him after today?" There was a touch of sympathy in his voice.

It actually made me laugh, in spite of everything. "Thanks Ewan, but I'll face him. I appreciate the offer, though. I'm gonna try him now."

"Sure thing. Talk to you later. Call if you need anything else from us, okay?"

"Thanks, Hammy 1."

"Anytime, Kens." I could hear the smile this time before he rang off.

I turned back towards the building, staring into space for a moment. I'd told Ewan I'd talk to Tristan myself, but it wasn't all that appealing right now. Still, I couldn't shake the knot of anxiety forming in the pit of my stomach and it meant that I'd be doing something about it if I called Tristan.