Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO –

The soldier stared out the window of the Pelican, not knowing what to think as he began a soothing decent down to the surface of Reach. He had just been promoted to Lieutenant Commander and now he was already being sent down to one of the best planets within the UNSC to be stationed at, other than Earth itself. He heard the stories from some people, including his father about how nice the planet was, and that since it was so fortified that there was no way anything was going to get into it. He found it kind of dull though, but he knew that he was going to have a great time here. As he stared out the window, he watched as another Pelican was beginning to enter the atmosphere and he watched as a another Pelican began its descent, but as it reached the lower atmosphere, it began to open its back hatch and he watched as something in the shape of a human stepped to the open hatch and stepped off the pelican and proceeded to drop like a rock down to the surface and looked as though it was not slowing down. Within his own helmet, he connected to the pilot of the pelican, "Hey, did you see what dropped out of the pelican to our right?"

The pilot was quiet for a minute before responding, "Yeah. From the looks of it, I think that was a Spartan that goes by the name of 'Grim'."

"A 'Spartan'? You mean like the Master Chief?"

"Yeah, but Grim is a later 'model'. He's a Spartan III where the Chief is a Spartan II."

McGrath was confused, "What's the difference?"

"Honestly, I don't know. All I can guess at is experience at this point, and personality. Look, I've met both the Chief and Grim, and out of the two, as serious as the Chief is all the time, I'd rather have a couple of cold one's with him over Grim any day."

"Why's that?"

"Because where the Chief is always serious, he at least can pop a joke out every now and then, but Grim......he knows how to get under your skin in a creepy way, especially when he hasn't completely whine down from an assignment and still has those damn contacts of his in."

McGrath was even more confused now, "Wait, contacts? I thought Spartans were supposed to have excellent vision?"

"Oh they do. Grim wears contacts that you would wear for Halloween or something like that. The ones that he wears though are white and black and for how they are designed, its feel like you're being stared down by an Elite General moments before he skewering you with his energy sword. But on top of that, this guy is almost like a fucking prodigy among the Spartans....." The pilot began to speak quietly, "You didn't hear this from me, but Grim is only fucking nineteen and is a fucking Master Sergeant."

McGrath was shocked, "He's a Master Sergeant?! Shit, that means he must be one of those really special cases. Ah, fuck, what was it called? I heard it before for Chief.....It was uh....Hyper-lethal vector? Yeah, that was it. Apparently, there's only a small handful like that."

"The fuck does that mean?"

"If I remember correctly, it means that they could fucking kill you with anything they get their hands on and are very effective with killing a very large amount of hostiles with very little ease."

"I figured all the Spartans were like that?"

"I mean they are, but not to the extent of what these guys can do. How I heard it be explained is that with these guys, you could drop them on their own into a battlefield and the area would seem like they are getting struck by some kind of plague, that's how lethal they are."