Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE –

Grim walked away from the groaning troops who tried to fight him. He scoffed as he looked at some of the Spartans who were on the floor, and truly had no idea what to say: These were Spartans that he had trained with, the same training that he had, and here they are on the ground. For some reason, they had gotten too careless, too complacent with being here on Reach, and they were now paying for it: Their reflexes had gotten dull and they were beginning to get sluggish and unable to keep up with his speed, "If this was a real fight, if I were something the Covenant threw at you, you'd be dead. Remember this...and correct your mistake, Spartans. You're dismissed." He picked his gear back up and made his way to the Pelican and sat down, and waited for the others to collect their equipment and gather onto the Pelican.

A Spartan sat beside him and removed her Venator helmet and looked at him with her Emerald that appear to have a blue hue to them, "Now I'm beginning to see why you coming here was a bad thing. Come on, Sigtien, you can't fight everyone who thinks they're the next Master Chief. You need to go easy on at least some of them." She gave him a warm, gentle grin, "Now take off the helmet, I want to look at you in the eyes when I talk to you."

Groaning, but doing as the other Spartan asked, Sigtien removed his helmet, allowing his unique eyes, hidden by a pair of white and black contacts that he wears during assignments, to meet hers. He stared at her with what looked like a dull look, but they both knew that he was giving her his full attention. He began to feel uneasy as he could feel the eyes of the other Spartans within the area staring at the two of them, but he knew that this wasn't bugging her as much as it was to him, "What are you even doing here, Kat? Are you even part of the detachment for this operation?"

"Nope. They didn't have a need for me on this one. I just came here to calm you down after you're fight with the rest of your team. She could see that he was getting visibly restless about the situation now, and knew that she needed to make this quick, "Look, we both know that you're better off on your own, I was with you back in basic, but we both know that although you can do a lot on your own, you can't do everything. You may not need it now, but there will be a time when you'll need help, and when that time comes, promise me that you'll be nice and accept it...for me?"

Sigtien knew what was coming next, and this was the one thing he hated that she would do in public....and they weren't in any kind of relationship, she just did it to do it. HE sighed and mentally braced himself for it, "Yes...I promise." He watched as she closed the gap between them and licked him on the tip of his nose and smiled.

"Good. Now, I'll be off, you're leaving in three." She stood up and retrieved her helmet and left the Pelican, allowing Sigtien to be on his own again.

Sigtien sighed, relieved that it was over, but he knew that even though she teases him within their friendship, he's glad to have it because she was the only thing that knew if something was truly troubling, even when he had no idea that anything was bothering him. He placed his helmet back on over his head and began to recollect his thoughts on what he was about to do.

As the pelican finally began to take off to the location, while all the other Spartans were prepping themselves for what was about to happen, one Spartan, who had just showed up on Reach, a freshly promoted Staff Sergeant, was being very audible with pumping himself up for the oncoming assault. He even stood up, slightly jumping up and down in his Soldier Variant armor and was becoming a sore sight for Grim. It was obvious he had just assigned to them because for what it appeared, none of the other Spartan's or soldiers knew exactly who he was and why he was even here. Already, everyone knew each other either by actually knowing them or through reputation, but this Staff Sergeant was like a ghost: No one knew who he was. And with new people only meant trouble because they don't know the pattern and routines of everybody here, which means they're going to question and it was just going to complicate things more than they needed to be.