10 Remembering Chance

“That stupid, ignorant Aiden! I swear next time I will attack him or badly beat him with something.” I yelled punching a tree. That’s when I heard a laugh and saw a boy about a year older than me step out from behind the tree.

“Feisty aren’t you?” He smirked at me. I crossed my arms and huffed, ignoring the pounding of pain in my hand. He walked next to me and pulled my hand gently over to himself. My knuckles were slightly bloody and the pain really did hurt but I refrained from showing weakness. He pulled a cloth out of his pocket and then pulled out a water bottle. He covered the rag in water and cleaned my knuckles. I winced but tried to hold back the scream bubbling up in my throat.

“I see you have a strong tolerance against pain.” He tore the rag and wrapped my knuckles up. “C’mon let’s go get an ice cream or something and then we can hang out. And don’t start the whole I don’t have money thing, because I’m buying it for you and you can’t stop me.” I giggled and followed him to the ice cream stand. I told him I liked strawberry so he got a chocolate one and a strawberry one and the man handed it to him, and then he passed it to me. We walked over to the swings and sat down. “So what’s your name?” He asked with a kind smile.

“My name’s Scarlett Rosca. My family and friends just call me Scar. And you?”

“My name’s Chance Robs.” We shook hands and went to eating our ice cream. I saw him glancing at me out of the corner of his eyes. “So what had got you so mad?” I sighed and glared at the ground.

“My brother’s best friend is my worst enemy and today he drew on my bedroom walls permanent marker. We started screaming and yelling at each other and then I stormed off. He makes me so angry and it’s like he’s just out to get me.” Chance just started laughing.

“What made you hate him so much?” I ran my fingers through my hair.

“He cut my hair out of no where one day and I really loved my long hair.” He just stared at me with an odd look.

“I like your hair short. It really suits you.” We smiled at each other and finished out ice cream. The rest of the day was spent chasing each other and learning about each other, and just having fun. I was sad when my mother came looking for me and she took me home.

I walked in the front door and glared at Aiden who was spending the night. I stomped upstairs and just laid in my bed staring up at the ceiling thinking about the new friend I had made today.

An hour passed and mother had yelled for dinner, I sighed and slowly made my way downstairs. I was the first one in the kitchen and I walked to the stove next to my mom.

“Mom, can I just eat in my room tonight?” She looked down and me with her famous smile and told me that it was ok. She handed me a plate full of food and I hurried to my room with it. Mom understood that I couldn’t stand Aiden and when he spent the night she’d let me eat in my room.

I munched on my roll as I sat in my dimly lit room that was until I heard something hit my window. I froze and looked at the window, slowly making my way over to it. That’s when I saw Chance standing there with a huge goofy smile on his face. I gawked at him as he waved at me.

“What are you doing here?” I whispered to him.

“I came to see you, have anything that can help me up there?” I don’t know what came over me but I grabbed the rope I had in my room. He was basically a stranger but I felt like I could trust him. I lowered the rope and then tied the end of it to my bed. I saw the rope tighten and knew he was climbing up. I saw his hand on the window sill so I helped pull him through. I ended up yanking so hard that I fell back with him landing on me.

“Get of me you lug!” He laughed and rolled over to where we were laying side by side. We turned our heads to each other and laughed trying to be quiet as we did so. We spent the rest of the night talking and hiding when someone came in to check on me.

I was currently laying down on my bed as he sat leaning against my head bored. We just sat there in a comfortable silence not making a single sound. My eyes began to feel heavy and he must’ve noticed because he leaned down and kissed my forehead.

“Go to sleep, I’ll be back tomorrow.” I nodded my head and the last thing I saw before I was asleep was him jumping out the window.

We did the same thing every night for months and we became close friends, he even met Alice and Charlotte, and Marcus. I refused to let him meet anyone else in my family. He and I were sitting in my room playing Uno and he sighed.

“What is it?” I looked at him with worried eyes only to have him look at me with sad eyes.

“I’m having to go back home tomorrow. I don’t want to, I honestly hate it there. But I cannot stay any longer. I’ll miss you.” I frowned at him.

“How long will you be gone?” I felt my lip quiver and my eyes sting.

“A few years, but I promise, somehow I will come back and see you again. I promise I’ll be back to come get you when my training is over and I am strong enough to protect you.” We stood up and he pulled me into a hug and kissed me on the forehead like he always did. I cuddled up into the warmth of his embrace and instantly felt cold when he let go. “Like I said, I promise to come back to you. I will not say goodbye, because this is not the last you shall see off me. So, see you later.” And with that he just jumped out the window and ran off. I felt warm tears begin to stream down my face. I had to stay strong though because I knew deep down inside he’d be back. I couldn’t show any sadness around my family because they would get seriously worried.

The night came and I was still in my room getting ready for sleep, as soon as I laid down on my pillow I felt something uncomfortable in my pillow. I put my hand under the cover and pulled out a piece of paper. On the outside of it, it said:

To My Darling Scarlett.

I opened the letter and began reading.

If you are you reading this, then I must be gone. And I’m sure I’ve already promised to come back to you. These past few months have been amazing, not once in my life had I thought I would have a true friend because of whom and what I am. I know that now you must have tons of questions running through your mind and I’m sure they all will be answered in time.

I’m not going to ask you to wait for me, but I am asking that when you see me to remember me and to continue being my friend. That’s all I want and even though we are young I want to tell you that I love you. You’re the most important thing to me in this point of my life and nothing will ever hurt you. I will not allow it. I would jump in front of a bullet for you, just as long as I know you’re ok. I would die happy as long as you kept on smiling.

I know this all sounds corny especially coming from someone my age but I mean every word.

With love,

Chance

Tears started streaming down my face and I knew I was going to miss him so much. I folded the letter and put it in a box with a few other items and I would read the letter again when he came back. I knew I may not remember him until he returns, but that’s ok because when he says his name, when I look back into those beautiful sea green eyes, I know everything will come rushing back to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I truly am sorry for how long it has been since I've posted up a chapter but I was going through writers block.

Anyways I'm so happy with all the views my story is getting, 79 votes and nearly 8,000 views on the first part. I hope the sequel can catch up to that, that would be AMAZING! Remeber comment, like, vote, whatever you wanna do, the biggest one though is ENJOY!

~AwesumAnimeGirl