Chapter 5: The Past Few Weeks

Just as I suspected, my dad was making Jim do more and more work everyday. He made him scrape the barnacles off the bottom of the ship.

"Put some elbow into it!" Silver yelled in his ear.

"Silver, take it easy on him! Jeez!" I shouted from on the ship.

Jim gave me a hopeful smile, which I returned.

Then we peeled some potatoes and every now and then, Jim and I would glance at each other and smile. Another thing we did was learn how to tie knots, but when I was done, I left. Right after, Jim followed and we walked arms linked on the edge of the ship.

Some time later, Jim was scrubbing the deck with a brush when Silver came up to with a smirk on his face. They faced each other, both trying to be the bigger man (Morph and Petunia were giggling at the sight) until Silver shoved a bucket with soapy water at him and pointed at the deck. When he walked off, I gave him a look like "What the heck?" I grabbed a brush and knelt down to help. When Jim saw me, he didn't object to my help. And our hands accidentally touched while cleaning. We looked at each other, chuckled nervously, then went back to work. That night we hung out on the bowsprit, just looking at the view in front of us.

Then Silver and I were telling a story to the other crew members, but we also joked around and teased each other. Jim was drinking some hot cocoa and I noticed that beautiful smile of his that I've definitely grown to love.

A couple days later, Jim was almost done with a set of dishes when Silver came in and put a lot more in front of him. I wanted to help, but Silver got me to cook more dinner for the crew. When it got late in the evening, he was asleep on a large pot and we noticed all the dishes clean. Silver gave me his jacket to give to Jim while he went back up. I draped it over him and sat beside him. When he saw me, I smiled at him and he returned it while snuggling up next to me and we fell asleep in the kitchen.

The next day, we got to take one of the long boats out. This was the first time since the accident for me. At first, it looked like Silver was going by himself, but he came back and Jim jumped in first, then caught me after I jumped in. I sat in the front while Jim and Silver sat in the back with the controls. Even though Silver was telling him how to do it, Jim looked like he knew what he was doing and I nodded, telling him to gun it, which he did. We came up to a comet and I pointed for it. Jim steered us in the trail of the comet and did some freestyle stunts. When we got out, we were covered in the dust from the comet and ended up throwing it at each other. We finally made it back to the ship in one piece and I stayed seated while Jim and Silver pulled the boat into the ship.

"You having a little trouble there?" Jim smiled, after lifting his end of the boat higher than Silver's.

"Oh, get away from me!" Silver chuckled.

I laughed at the sight as they lifted the boat higher.

"Oh Jimbo! If I could maneuver a skiff like that when I was your age, they'd be bowing in the streets when I walked by today," Silver said as he tied the boat then sat on his end of the boat.

"Bowing in the streets," Morph mimicked in the form of Silver.

"I don't know. They weren't exactly singing my praises when I left home," Jim replied doing the same as my dad took a rag and wiped his face and I leaned against the boat towards Jim, who continued, "But I'm gonna change all that."

"Are you now? How so?" Silver asked, petting Morph.

"Yeah?" I added, petting Petunia.

"Uh, I've got some plans. Gonna make people see me a little different," Jim smirked, relaxing with his arms behind his head and closing his eyes.

"Ooh. Sometimes, plans go astray," Silver pointed out, his smile vanishing.

"Not this time," Jim said, not changing his position or attitude.

That's when I felt a slight pain in my collar bone. I gripped it until Petunia turned into a bag of ice and rested on my bad collar bone.

"Thanks, Petunia," I said.

And when Silver tried to tighten a loose bolt to no avail, Morph turned into a wrench.

"Oh, thank ya Morphy," he told him then tightened the bolt.

"You good?" I asked, gently gripping his shoulder.

"Aye, lass," he assured me.

Jim looked at both of us with pity as he asked Silver, "So, uh, how'd that happen anyway?"

We both looked at his mechanical arm as Silver answered, "You give up a few things, chasing a dream."

"Was it worth it?" Jim wondered.

Silver looked at him, chuckled, sat on the other side of Jim, and remarked, "I'm hoping it is, Jimbo. I most surely am."

We leaned back to rest more until the ship was jolted forward and we were knocked that way. Silver ran towards the deck.

"You okay?" Jim asked once he was up.

"Yeah. Come on. Let's see what's going on," I answered.

He grabbed my hand and we followed my dad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N They all have bonded for the past few weeks and things look good. But now, there's this bump in the road that they have to overcome.