Chapter 15: The Booby Trap

Jim and I couldn't quit looking at all the treasure. B.E.N. started talking about remembering something that Captain Flint did, but I noticed a ship on the treasure. I nudged Jim and pointed toward it. We looked at Silver to see he was distracted. Morph and Petunia looked at each other confused.

"B.E.N., come on. We're getting out of here and we're not leaving empty handed," he said, pulling me along.

"But-but guys! Guys," B.E.N. replied.

We made it to the ship and Jim hoisted himself on board. Then he pulled me up.

"You know what's strange? I can't tell you how frustrating this is, guys, but there's something that's nagging at the back of my mind," B.E.N. explained as we pulled him up.

Once he was over the edge, we accidentally dropped him and he screamed because of what we saw.

"Captain Flint?" we asked together.

"In the flesh," B.E.N. answered then corrected, "Well, s-sort of of, except for skin, organs, or anything that-that-that resembles flesh. That's not there."

Jim and I approached the skeleton that sat in a chair with his boney fingers wrapped around an object. We looked curiously at the dead pirate as B.E.N. continued talking.

"And yet, it's so odd, you know? I remember there was something Flint didn't want anyone else to know, but I-I just can't remember what it was," he explained.

While he babbled, I gestured to Jim the object in Flint's left hand. I pulled the fingers off and Jim grabbed it.

"Oh, a mind is a terrible thing to lose!" B.E.N. exclaimed then sobbed.

That's when Jim and I had the same idea: this was B.E.N.'s mind that Flint had! We smiled as we approached him slowly. Petunia and Morph giggled since they knew what we were up to.

"B.E.N., I think we just found your mind. Hold still," Jim said.

He touched the back of B.E.N.'s head as I held it by the sides of it.

"Shh, it's okay," I replied calmly.

"Aah! Your hands are very, very cold," B.E.N. responded anxiously.

The little wires connected to the metal piece and his head spun around once while his eyes turned from green to blue.

"Whoa! Hello!" he exclaimed then added, "You know, uh, Jimmy, Jamie, I was just thinking...I was just think-! It's all flooding back! All my memories!"

I couldn't quit smiling. I was so happy for B.E.N.!

"Right up until Flint pulled my memory circuits so I could never tell anyone about his booby trap!" he shouted.

"What?!" I yelled, my color drained and my smile wiped from my face.

There was a crash above us. We saw one of the spires about to fall.

"Speaking of which," B.E.N. responded.

The pirates looked up and then started running away.

"Flint wanted to make sure that nobody could ever steal his treasure, so he rigged this whole planet to blow HIGHER THAN A KALEPSIAN KITE!" B.E.N. explained.

A huge spire broke off and pierced the core, causing the treasure to fall in the cracks. The lasers started making contact with the core, tearing it up even more. The pirates started running away from the danger.

"Run, guys! Run for your lives!" B.E.N. shouted, tugging on Jim's arm.

"You go back and help the captain and doc! If I'm not back there in five minutes, leave without me!" Jim ordered, starting to hot wire the ship.

"I am not leaving my buddy Jimmy!" B.E.N. refused, pulling Jim out and seeing his death glare, then added, "Unless he looks at me like that...Bye Jim!"

He ran as fast as he could but I stayed where I was. Morph and Petunia did too.

"I told you to get out of here," he said.

"No. You told B.E.N. to leave. I'm staying here," I corrected.

"I need you to get out of here. I'm not losing you," he replied as he stood up and walked to me.

"We either leave together or stay together. I'm not losing you either," I told him, gently grabbed his face, then kissed him passionately.

He joined in quickly as he wrapped his arms around my waist. We parted and looked into each other's eyes.

"You're really stubborn, you know that?" he chuckled.

"I know. Now let's get to work," I smirked.

He handed me a wrench and I tied myself to the railing. I lowered myself down to the launchers and started working, fixing some bolts and crossing some wires. I pulled myself back up and got at the wheel. Jim finished and when we started it up, it worked like a charm.

"You can drive a ship too?" Jim asked.

"What? Silver didn't just teach me how to work in the kitchen," I smirked.

He laughed as I drove us toward the portal and he shouted, "Yes! Guys, we are so out of here!"

He hugged me from behind and kissed my cheek. I giggled in response. We were finally going to get out of here.

"Ah, Jimbo, Cyborg. Aren't yeh the seventh wonder of the universe?" Silver exclaimed as he climbed on the ship.

Oh no. This can't be happening. I had my back against the wheel as Jim quickly grabbed a sword and got in front of me to protect me as he pointed it at Silver.

"Get back!" Jim demanded.

Silver looked at the sword then to us with a hard glare.

"I like yeh both, but I've come too far ta let yeh stand between me and me treasure," Silver said, walking towards us slowly.

I began to panic and I'm sure Jim did too. Suddenly, a laser hit the ship, knocking us off. I grabbed onto one of the ledges that were going into the wall. Silver managed to hold onto the ship and stay on the platform. But Jim slid down it until he fell off the edge.

"Jim!" I yelled.

I continued to hold onto the ledge with one hand as I took my legs and pushed a little with my other hand out and grabbed Jim before he fell. I'm glad I caught him, but how do we get out of this one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N They were almost out until this happened. What to do.