Chapter Five: History of the Species

Hey, Author Vi here. I am finally able to actually sit and edit this entirely as I said before(04/2021) (survey has determined that was a lie- 12/09/2022)

They run out of her apartment building and down the street. Kaitlyn swears under her breath. The town isn't big it has a few small pop up dine in restaurants and one or two big convenience stores. The suburban houses lined the edge of town and a few taller buildings like offices closer to the middle but, its not city material. There's no where to hide so all they can do is keep running. Eventually though, Kaitlyn sees an abandoned cigarette factory. She yanks Axel in by his arm, he yelps but they're inside and its dark. Kaitlyn turns to explain most of what she knew to Axel, but suddenly a large boom is heard a few blocks down. Her eyes widen and she slaps her hand over both of their mouths. Axel pushes her hand away before she realizes she covered his nose too so he begins gasping for air as quietly as possible. Kaitlyn looks through the dusty boarded up windows to see the man, he was panting and shaking in anger staring in the direction they were running, she sucks in a breath and waits for him to pass by the building before turning to Axel.

"How do you know all of this," Axel asks slightly out of breath.

"I've lived with this since I could remember," Kaitlyn mutters still keeping an eye out.

"Right, so it's been here longer than I have?" Axel asks raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, since you moved in about a year ago," Kaitlyn says rolling her eyes.

"I'm not that new here," Axel pouts.

"You're new enough to know nothing about the dragon shifters, wyrm shifters and their feud" Kaitlyn says.

"Well? Tell me about it. Is it like a gang thing? Or more like Westside story with some romance?" Axels asks throwing his hands up.

Kaitlyn sighs before going into the story, "Well most feuds are about similar things; power, love, greed, etcetera. This one is about power. Dragons are bigger than wyrms. Wyrms are faster than dragons. Blah...blah...the oldest ancestor were originally living in harmony, but the wyrms got greedy and wanted everything we see around us for themselves. They had realized that mating humans could be possible and that they could produce children. The wyrms believed they could overpopulated the dragons. However, not all humans were easy. They originally all were in countries like China and South America. Mostly uninhabited places. However, the human hunters came into play and pushed both groups into a small circle. Which in reality is a REALLY bad idea. Dragons didn't handle it too well... you know being big and all. They broke free and escaped to countries like North America and Germany. Those damn wyrms followed and continued to try and bully the dragons for power. Wars ensued and here we are."

Axel sits there after she finishes seemingly unfazed. Kaitlyn raises an eyebrow. Axel swallows before he gets a puzzled look on his face.

"How do you know the original story?" Axel asks.

Kaitlyn shrugs,"That's not even all of it."

Before they can continue though there is a sudden loud roar and a loud crashing noise, Kaitlyn cautiously peeks out the window to see a building toppling over and smashing to the ground. This causes the ground under them to shake. They both topple over. Kaitlyn tenses as she falls before getting up and dusting herself off and huffing in annoyance.

"Damn, thought I could out run him long enough to leave him to the dragons.." Kaitlyn says clicking her tongue.

"Whoa, what are you going to do?" Axel says his eyes widening.

"What does it look like? I'm going to fight the damn thing," Kaitlyn says glaring at Axel out of the corner of her eye swinging the bat she had earlier slightly.

The man half transformed turns around the corner if the toppled building, looking really angry.

"Um...I don't think-" Axel is interrupted by Kaitlyn running up to and swinging the bat, hitting the man on the side of his head. The spikes going into his face, making the man scream in pain.

"Too late..." Axel mutters slowly laughing to himself.

Kaitlyn pulls the bat out of the side of his head, swinging it again hitting the man in the side. Blood drips all over the sidewalk.

"Jesus christ, you went from the quiet one to I'm going to beat the shit out of everything," Axel says in awe.

Kaitlyn just chuckles,"tell you later".

Kaitlyn pulls her bat out again only to smash it back into his head, this time it gets stuck. There's more blood dribbling all over Kaitlyn. The man grows angry before suddenly dropping to the ground thrashing and wings burst from his back.

"Well looks like we have to run again," Kaitlyn says grabbing Axel's hand again and running once again.

"You know we can't run forever," Axel yells.

"Well, we can run until we get to my-," Kaitlyn tries to say but the rest of her sentence was muffled out by a loud roar.

"Wait, where the hell are we going to go," Axel asks slightly high pitched.

"I know we do not have very many places to hide, but we just need to make it to the clan." Kaitlyn says picking up her pace.

"Clan? What are there vampires I don't know about?" Axel shouts.

"No, The leader of the dragon shifter clan is supposed to protect humans," Kaitlyn mutters.

"So wait, why is this guy after yo-?!" "I have no idea" Kaitlyn interrupts him, she stops and pulls him past another abandoned factory and into and alleyway.

"R-" Axel is interrupted by Kaitlyn's hand going over his mouth.

This serpentine-like thing slithers passed the alley. A loud roar echoes across the city.

Something smashes into the wyrm making it fly by the building again except in the opposite direction.

"Holy shit," Axel says with wide eyes.

Kaitlyn just smirks.

Dragons suddenly land nearby standing in front of the rouge wyrm.

"You have to tell me everything after this over," Axel mutters not taking his eyes away from the fight.

"Got it," Kaitlyn says grinning.

~Well I'm sort of on a roll lol I'm not obsessed with music per say... just connect to it better than I do humans... *cough* Entirely edited unless I fix it more.. sigh *can't make decisions*(12/09/2022)