Chapter 34

Taylor:

I lie beside him, his chest rising and falling peacefully as he breathes, and let my eyes flutter closed as he runs his fingers through my hair.

I'm suddenly jerked awake by an incredibly loud knock on the door. Adam immediately swears loudly, jumping off of the couch and scrambling into his jeans. I pull a face before deciding the best thing to do is just hide behind the couch and hope whoever it is behind that door doesn't see me crouching there.

I'm left to watch nervously as Adam opens the front door, but then raise an eyebrow in confusion when he slams it shut again, pushing his whole body against the door in an effort to keep it shut.

But before he can lock it again, a large hand pushes the door open again, leaning against it so it can't be closed again.

"Where. Is. She."

I freeze at the sound of his voice. I've never heard Harry sound so fierce, and goosebumps immediately crawl across my body as I try to crouch even lower on the floor.

"Oh, get out. She doesn't want to see you."

"Oh yeah? Well I didn't want to see you either, Wiles. So I guess we're both having a bad day, aren't we?"

Adam stays silent at the use of his real name. But he eventually replies, rather shakily,

"Just- just go away, alright? In case you haven't noticed, Styles, she came running back to me when you couldn't be there for her. Yeah, not you, curly, ME."

"Oh, shut your trap, and get out of my way so I can find my girlfriend and run as far away from you as possible."

I watch with wide eyes as Harry barges right past Adam, making it an impressive three steps before Adam yanks him back by the shoulder, forcing him to face him again.

"She's mine and she loves me. Now, GET OUT."

He snaps, standing as tall as he can, his face inches from Harry's. My mouth falls open as Harry starts to laugh.

"She loves you?! Then would you care to explain to me why she's pregnant with my child, and not yours, big guy?"

Now Adam's mouth falls open, but he tries to make up for it by spluttering a reply.

"She's not... no she can't. No. But- NO we just...but- no you're lying. There's no way..."

Harry laughs again, spinning himself around, about to start searching the place for me, when I finally, maybe a little too late, notice an unfamiliar glint in Adam's eyes.

Now all I can do is watch in slow motion as Adam whips Harry around by the shoulder again, his fist flying from his side and hitting Harry with all its power. My hand flies to my mouth as Harry's figure crumples to the floor beside me, his dark hair sprawling out around him and obscuring his face. I can clearly see Adam out of the corner of my eye, standing by the door completely emotionless as I shriek and dive to Harry's side.

"Harry?! HARRY?! HARRY, PLEASE GET UP?! Oh no..."

I yelp, choking up and holding my face in my hands as I desperately try to shake him awake. The fact that I'm the one in pain now finally gives Adam a reason to do something.

He drops to my side, talking hurriedly at me as he tries to fix his careless mistake yet again. I don't react to anything he says, but the second he reaches his hand out to touch me, I slap him away roughly.

"You... you monster."

I whisper, more to myself at first, the tears beginning to blur my vision as I stop shaking Harry and turn to face Adam.