Chapter Thirty Two | Noisy Places

I heard about them before I saw them

I heard about them before I saw them. Whispers about Max and Emily seem to be getting more frequent as I walked down the corridor.

"...Did you see how Emily was acting?..."

"...Max seemed to score with her..."

"...I didn't expect them to go together..."

Finally I set my eyes on them. Emily was leaning against the wall whilst Max was towering over her. He was playing with a piece of her hair whilst she clutched her books to her chest. Emily giggled at something Max said and, who had a grin of his own. They both seemed to be in their own bubble oblivious to the reaction around them. I hope Emily hasn't become one of those mindless girls from her books...

I narrowed my eye and marched forward for answers that no one but them would have. They didn't seem too notice my approach. What did I miss in the last 48 hours?

"Boo." Max and Emily jolted back to reality. Max and Emily shuffled apart like they had been caught doing something they shouldn't have. Calm down, lovey-dovey staring isn't very scandalous...

"Hey Ella! How are you?" Emily's voice was slightly high pitched. Max gave that weird greeting nod that boys usually do. It's times like this I wish I could raise one eyebrow.

Instead I said in an overly cheerful voice, "I'm fine thank you, do you guys want to tell me something?"

"You tell her," Max spoke before disappearing into the crowds.

"Tell me what?" I asked. I have a pretty good idea but let's see her squirm for a bit.

"Max is my boyfriend. I have to get to help out. Bye!" She quickly said before she rushed away.

"Hey! I wasn't done," I shouted at Emily's figure, as she merged with the crowds.

Fortunately she was lucky to get away for now because she was too busy helping with the charity ball so I didn't see her in class but I would eventually corner her.

School seemed to be an even more futile task as teachers just assigned questions from the textbooks because it seemed impossible to attempt to teach at this point of the week. The talks were repetitive as people started to brag about their outfits, dates and hairstyle. I don't even know how many people have picked a red dress from the amount of times I've heard about it.

Max and Emily were the only new couples to arise today. The gossip was crazy and the noise was endless. By midday I felt a headache approaching. Don't these people have anything better to talk about?

Apparently not...

Eventually I got ahold of Emily at lunch but by then I wasn't really in the mood to interrogate her thoroughly so I used a different approach. Lull her into a false sense of security.