Chapter 1

The morning sky was clear and bright. As king Edmund walked beside his horse, Philip, he breathed in the delicious Narnian summer air.

A Narnian would never think to ride a talking horse unless in battle or practice.

It had been almost three months since Edmund and his siblings had begun their reign and it had been a busy few months. Reports of supporters of the White Witch raising up and threatening the peace. Now, as enemies had been vanquished and the Narnians were silent from their cries of help, Edmund had decided to take sometime to further explore Narnia and it's wonders.

He soon arrived at a clearing in the midst of a lovely wood in which the tree people were arrayed in splashes of calming summer tones. The clearing held a cool spring which beckoned to the young king and his companion.

The water was sparkingly in the sunlight and tasted just as crisp. After his thirst was soothed he stood beside Phillip as the horse eagerly gulped down the water.

With pleasure, he gazed about at his magical Narnia. King Edmund was so engrossed with his surroundings he almost missed the passing of two fauns. Though they did not miss him. They bowed before him reverently as they greeted him.

"Good morning your Majesty." Said one with darker fur and a curly beard.

Edmund inclined his head and gave a smile.

"A good morning to you as well good Fauns."

Edmund inwardly frowned at his words. He and Peter had been trying to achieve a more kingly speech in which to use and to Edmund, the words seemed odd and rather stiff. Whereas Peter's words seems to roll out naturally.

As his mind was distracted he had missed the reply from the second Faun, with lighter fur and a short beard. The Faun seemed to be looking toward the king for a reply of some kind.

Edmund dipped his head apologetically and answered.

"I offer my aplogizes as I was distracted. Please repeat your words."

The Faun, who was not at all annoyed, eagerly spoke.

"It is not safe to be out in these parts, your majesty."

Edmund, forgetting his kingly manner, gave a look of alarm.

"What do you mean?"

The first Faun stepped in and explained.

"The past three nights there have been strange happenings. Large fires roaring in the forests, moaning and groaning as ghosts and a mighty awful stench as likely to die of."

Edmund was enraptured by this words as images of these flashed in his mind.

"Have others seen these terriable things?" The king asked as he choose his words carefully.

The second Faun nodded his head quickly. "Most everyone!"

"Why has no word been sent to Cair Parevel concerning this?"

Both Fauns stood silent while the question hung strongly in the air.

"They are hidding something."  He thought to himself.

King Edmund stood up straighter and with a clear and slightly louder voice he asked the question once more.

The Fauns exchanged glances and looked down at their furry hooves.

"We Narnians believe the problem shall remove itself." Answered one.

Edmund looked curiously at the creature.

"All the same, you seemed troubled at these events."

The second Faun quickly replied as if he had the reply readily prepared.

"Only troubled for your safety, your Majesty."

Edmund at once realized there would be no point in continuing this as the Fauns seemed set on their words.

"I greatly appreciate your concern for my well fare." Edmund said.

"Yes indeed," the first Faun glanced up at the sky and then back at his king. "The afternoon is approaching and we must be getting home."

Edmund watched as they bowed and hurriedly went off on their way. Philip, had by now finished his long drink, and stood beside the young king.

In a deep and honest voice the horse spoke,

"It is not my place, my king, but those Fauns were not at all honest with you."

Edmund smiled, turned to the horse and rubbed his velvety nose.

"I noticed that as well. I shall speak to Peter about this."

The two retreated and headed to Cair Parevel. The beautiful sights were now lost to Edmund as his mind was far away, in the midst of the spooky sightings.

A/N

So sorry for taking forever to write this!! Already a plot forming and I have some ideas for this. Feedback is greatly appreciated!