Chapter 3

While that afternoon grew shorter, Edmund's ideas for that evening grew into plans that he intended to carry out.

He could be found, bent over at his large cherry wood desk in his room plotting and planning. Painstakingly scribbling down how exactly to handle these mysterious sightings. More importantly however, was what to do about those fauns that seemed to have plans of their own. The more he replayed that morning over and over in his mind, the more visiable the only possible explanation nagged at him.

"They are going to take matters into their own hands." He spoke aloud, quietly and with resolution.

His desk facing the window, he glanced over at the view of an open field. The flowers were in full bloom and the air was sweet as only a Narnian summer could be.

He suddenly shook his head and pulled himself back to the problem at hand.

"I must think through this. I must!"

He began to jot down phrases on a sheet of paper, such as:

Bring in reinforcements
Bring in Narnians for questioning

The last phrase burned at him as he regretfully wrote it.

Wait for Peter

He immediately laid down his pen, crumbled the paper into a tight ball and tossed it away.

It was then that there was a small knock on the door. Edmund by now had been holding his tired and frazzled head in his hands. Speaking in a most unkingly fashion he answered,

"Who is it?"

The door opened slowly and the tiniest of creatures, a mouse popped his head in.

"Begging your pardon your Majesty, but I've been told to inform you we are having guests at dinner as they shall be stranded in this area by the coming storm."

Edmund perked up and looked at the messenger with new intrest.

"There is to be a storm tonight?"

The mouse inclined his head respectively.

"Oh yes sir, a rather nasty storm."

"Thank you Samson, you have been more helpful than you know."

The mouse, Samson, gushed with gratitude and quickly left.

"A storm." The king said to himself as his mind worked quicker than it had earlier.

"A storm might prevent the Narnians from driving out the strangers or whatever they had planned to do."

All at once, his plans became clear and if it had not been so close to dinner, Edmund would have bounded out that moment to put his plans in motion.

☆☆☆☆

Edmund stood by King Peter and the queens, Susan and Lucy as they greeted their guests. Two men and a lady, all of them tall and fair. The lady, Sindrilan, had beautiful golden hair that gleamed in the fire light. The men, Tranhil and Renchion, each had shorter black hair and kind gray eyes.

As the Narnians and their guests took their seats at the high table, covered dishes were laid out, goblets were filled and music played softly in the background. Though not one noticed, the summer air became chilled and the sky grew ominous as the storm marched in.

"It is a pleasure to have guests here at Cair Parevel." Peter spoke genuinely.

The lady smiled.  "We thank you for your kind hospitality."

"If I may know, where is it you hail from?" Asked Lucy gently.

This time Tranhil answered. "A far off land, over the seas."

"Sounds fascinating!" Lucy replied as she beamed.

"What brings you to Narnia?" Inquired Susan.

Renchion spoke, "We are on our way to Archenland, though we may be lost."

"Archenland is not terribly far from here." Assured Peter.

Suddenly a loud clash of thunder sounded off. Lucy gave a quick jump.

"So there is to be a storm. A bad one too." Thought Edmund.

"We seem to have arrived just in time." Sindrilan said.

"You shall be staying the night of course." Stated Susan.

"We would be most grateful." Answered Tranhil.

Dinner continued with polite talk, tales and much laughter. All the while Edmund had only been half listening as his mind was focused on the plan he hoped to carry out this very evening. He was suddenly jolted out of this thoughts as Renchion voiced a concern.

"We might have tried to brave the storm if we had not been warned of evil beings that lurk in the woods."

Utter surprise was thick in the air. Peter gave a quick glance at Edmund, who could only stare at the guests.

"What has been said of them?" Edmund said, or rather blurted.

Susan gave Edmund a slight frown but listened intently for the answer.

"A horrible tribe of creatures that march through the night carring burning torches. They screech and howl with such fury as to turn your blood cold." Answered Renchion.

A shiver crawled down Lucy's back. "That sounds perfectly dreadful!"

"A rabble like that? In the midst of Narnia?" Asked Susan in disbelief.

"That is only what we have heard." Spoke Sindrilan evenly.

The conversation dropped after that and dinner was finished.

A/N
If any of you were wondering, yes I did base the visitors of Elves in Middle Earth.  I really hope you guys are liking this story!