Chapter 2

The moment Queen Susan burst open the doors of the castle, she was met with a chilly gust of wind. The cold was so sudden that she had to stop and catch her breath.

"That poor child!" She said sadly as her heart went it to the poor thing and how cold the stranger must be.

This compassion drove her to move quicker. The autumn leaves crunched under her black flat shoes as she hurried across the field. Drawing nearer, she saw that the fallen figure was indeed a mere child. No more than seven or eight years of age. His short blond hair desperately needed washed, as did the rest of him. The boy's tattered clothes had seen better days, or so Susan hoped. His face and arms were splattered with mud and dirt. The child's knees were badly scratched.

"What on earth has this boy been through?" Thought the queen as she knelt down beside him.

Susan rolled up her right sleeve and carefully, felt the boy's forehead with her forearm. Susan let out a breath of relief and allowed a smile.

"No fever. But he is chilled." She spoke aloud.

Suddenly the boy's eyes opened. Letting out a gasp of fear, he grabbed Susan's wrist rather tightly, as if ready to defend himself. Susan herself was frightened and resisted the urge to yank her arm free. The child now stared at her in utter surprise.

"It is all right." She began gently.  " I mean you no harm."

Susan had to wonder if the boy had even hear the words, for he made no move to relax his grip.

"I watched from my window as you collapsed. I came to help." Susan added, trying to gain this boy's trust.

A sudden realization seemed to dawn in his eyes, as if he had just remembered what he had been doing before his fall. Susan took this as a good sign, and tried once more for a reply.

"Please, may I know your name?"

His eyes seemed to bore into the queen's, as if searching for something. Prehaps a reason to trust her. All at once it seemed he had made his decision as he released her wrist and said one word,

"Torin."

The name barely reached above a whisper but seeing as Susan had been listening and waiting for an answer, she heard his reply clearly.

She gave a friendly smile, thrilled that she had made progress.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Torin. My name is Susan."

All at once Torin seemed to put two and two together. Taking in the girl's crown and the large castle that stood nearby, he sat up quickly and fearfully asked.

"Are you a queen?"

Susan replied quickly to extinguish the boy's fears.

"Yes, but there is no reason to be frightened."

Torin, who was clearly not calmed, said nothing. So Susan continued.

"Come, let us get you cleaned up. Prehaps you can tell me more about yourself."

Torin was extremely hesitatent,  Susan could tell.

"I am sure you could eat something as well?" She added kindly.

Torin perked up noticeably and Susan took advantage of it. She stood up from the ground and held out a hand to the child. As she did so, she noticed there was a good sized smudge of mud on her wrist, from Torin's hand. Susan was not fond in the slightest of feeling dirty but she understood this boy was far more important than her own cleanness.

Torin was watching the extended hand up as if it might bite him. Making a split decision, he accepted the hand and stood. He was tall for a child and something about him, Susan noted, seemed different.

Choosing to push the thought aside, Susan led Torin by the hand towards Cair Parevel. As they walked Torin glanced at the queen and said ever so softly,

"Thank you Queen Susan."

Susan was touched by the words but replied,

"Just Susan, if you please Torin."

To her delight, the faintest of smiles crept in the corners of the boy's mouth.

"Ok, Susan."

♡♡♡♡

As the two drew nearer to Cair Parevel, Susan wondered what Torin was thinking. Was he in awe at the sight of the castle? She did not have to wonder long for at that moment Torin held onto Susan's hand tighter.

"Cair Parevel is beautiful, isn't it?" She began, trying to calm the boy's nerves.

"Will I be welcome?" He asked in a serious tone.

Susan frowned in confusion. "Of course, you are to be my guest and-"

She stopped suddenly as she remembered the Archenland guests. They were due to arrive in two days! What would king Lune say about the beggar child?

"Susan?"

The voice came out softly and filled with concern. She had paused for too long in her assuring reply.

"Yes Torin. You are more than welcome."

Torin looked down as if he could not really believe the queen. It was then Susan thought of her family.

'What would Peter, Edmund and Lucy say?'

A/N
Hello guys! Honestly I'm not liking this chapter, it may sound a bit chessy. Please let me know what you think. I'd appreciate it!