Chapter 4

The following morning Susan woke up earlier than usual. So early in fact that out her window she could see nothing but darkness. Pulling the feather- filled blanket up under her chin, she closed her eyes and tried to fall back asleep. Susan sat up and turned her pillow around to the cooler side. After a mere second of laying back down, it was clear that returning to sleep was out of the question. The comfort she had felt when she first went to sleep, was long gone.

Fluffing her pillows and leaning them against the wood backboard of her bed, she sat up, her back against the pillows.

Recalling the previous day, she had returned to Torin's room after meeting with her siblings. She opened the door of his room to find that he had not only finished his meal entirely, but he was in bed, sound asleep. Susan had felt a sense of relief for some reason and had taken the empty platter back down to the kitchen. The remainder of the day had been consumed with sending out the invitations and seeing to the banquet menu.

Now, the queen shivered in the dark room. Creeping out of her bed, she fumbled in the darkness to her wardrobe. Though it was difficult to see, she knew that the top shelf held  extra blankets. As she brought down a large quilt, her mind drifted to Torin.

"I wonder if he is having trouble sleeping in a strange place. Prehaps  he too is cold."

Susan was such a motherly figure, and felt responsible for the boy. Both concern and compassion had taken over inside of her ever since seeing Torin fall in the empty feild.

As Susan climbed back in her bed, which unfortunately had started to grow chilly in her absence, she remembered last night's dinner. It was the first time that Torin had met all of the Narnians rulers, and it was one she would not forget.

It started at the top of the large staircase. Susan had just gotten ready for dinner and was headed down when she saw Torin. His hands were clutching the railing and it was clear he was uncomfortable about going to dinner. Susan had smiled sadly and walked over to the boy.

"Hello Torin, did you sleep well?"

Torin was startled at the sudden question and jumped a bit as he turned to face Susan.

"Oh- yes, um I did."

Susan then took one step down, hoping it would be would be enough and Torin would follow. Turing to face the child, she smiled kindly and said,

"Are you ready for dinner?"

Torin seemed at a lost for words. All of a sudden a jumble of words escaped him.

"Well, I yes, but- what about the, I mean your-"

Susan immediately understood what was troubling the poor boy. Her family. The kings and her fellow queen to be exact.

"I have spoken with them about you and they agreed you may stay. There is no need for you to fear anyone in this castle."

Her words soothed him and he followed her down the stairs and into the large room. Once they stepped in the room, Peter, Edmund and Lucy all stood and acknowledged Torin.

"Greetings and welcome to Cair Parevel, I pray you have enjoyed it thus far." Spoke Peter sincerely.

Torin nodded quickly and glanced around at Susan's siblings.

"Thank you for your kindness." Returned Torin.

All were seated and dinner was being served. Susan watched with amusement as Torin stared hungrily at the large helping that was set before him.

"Torin, I understand you are from Archenland?" Edmund spoke up.

Susan glanced at Edmund then Torin. It had occurred to her then that he had not gotten to explain the reasoning behind his coming to Narnia.

"Yes your majesty." Torin replied.

"I find that most interesting. You see, we are expecting guests from Archenland in a matter of days."

Torin looked at Edmund in surprise. Then a look of both sorrow and concern overtook him.

"Oh, will it be a problem I am here? I can leave if it's a problem."

For a moment Susan thought he was about to jump out of his seat and hurry out the door.

"Certainly not." She answered quickly. "I did not have a chance to inform you that as my Archenland guest, you are welcome to partake in the banquet."

Utter surprise overtook Torin as he sat back in his seat.

"But I'm just a beggar. I will be a disgrace before the real guests" He hurriedly said.

Peter quickly stood from his seat. His face held a stern and defiant look.

"Torin, I do not see a beggar at this table. And if King Lune has a problem with your presence at the banquet then he has the privilege to return to his own country."

The table was completely silent. All were surprised to hear such things from the high king. Susan was touched that her siblings had accepted Torin and were  willing to turn out a visiting king if he disproved of the boy. Torin had tears in his eyes. Dinner continued in awkward silence and no words about the banquet or beggars were said.

In her warm quilt, Susan shivered once more. Not from the cold air that accompanied the fall leaves, but from the words Peter had so boldly said. Comforted by the memories, she readjusted her pillow and lay back down. Sleep came easily.

A/N

Great news! I got the bugs worked out on those last two chapters so things are going smoothly now! :) so close to finishing Susan's part and it's going to be good! I'm excited for it.

BTW- I just realized this whole chapter, I woke Susan up just so she could tell us about what happened at dinner. Kinda rude I guess if you think about it. It's 2:41am so I may just be talking crazy. :)