Chapter 5

A few hours later Susan awoke feeling refreshed and energized. The sunshine shown through her window brightly. It was hard to imagine that it was so cold last night.

Quickly she got dressed, choosing a silk navy blue dress, and brushed her dark hair. After slipping into her shoes and putting on her crown, she was ready.

Down the staircase she went and when she arrived at breakfast, she was thrilled to see Torin already at the table and even having a conversation with Edmund! Taking her seat at the table she was able to catch the end of the conversation.

"Yes, it is all in the wrist. We can work on it today." Finished Edmund.

Susan could not help but inquire
at what was being said. Torin looked at Susan and smiled broadly.

"Ed, I mean King Edmund is going to help me practice in the weaponry today. "

Susan was suprised at such an offer. It was marvelous that her brother was taking the time for the child, but that's what Torin was, a child, too young to handle a sword. Looking at Edmund she chose her words carefully.

"That is a splendid idea, Ed! I assume you will be gentle, after all, you have more experience."

Edmund seemed to have caught onto what she ment and replied.

"I say! For his youth, he has some knowledge of the blade. I assure you I shalll, be gentle, as you say."

Susan watched as Edmund and Torin exchanged amused looks. She could not believe how well they were getting along. Almost as if they were long lost brothers. In fact, her entire family was quiet taken with the boy. Thoughts arose in her mind. Thoughts of this orphan, returning all alone in Archenland. Prehaps, prehaps-

"Susan? Are you alright?"

Susan was jolted out of her thoughts and looked over at Lucy.

"I apologize, what did you say?"

"I asked if you were alright. You had a funny look on your face."

Susan smiled. "I was just thinking to myself."

In a matter of moments breakfast was carried out. No conversation was made as the hearty meal was eatten quickly. As the dishes were being gathered by Fickle the dwarf, Peter said,

"I have important matters of trade with the Lone Islands to go over. Susan, I need not to remind you of our guests arriving tomorrow."

Susan surprised herself by nodding in return. In actuality, she had forgotten of King Lune's arrival. There was not much to do besides prepare the banquet hall and go over last minute instructions with the musicians.

Susan turned to Lucy and asked,

"If you are not busy would you like to help me get ready for the king's arrival?"

Lucy nodded and smiled.

"Certainly I will help."

With that, everyone left to do their appointed tasks. Torin followed Edmund while Peter went off to a meeting room. Susan lead Lucy to the Banquet hall.

♡♡♡♡

"I am glad you brought Torin to us." Lucy said as she laid silverware on the large table.

Susan smiled and nodded.  "So am I. I am so happy that everyone has taken a liking to him."

"I was just thinking that at breakfast. It is almost like he is family."

Susan walked over to where Lucy was and lowered her voice.

"It is funny you say that. I had a thought, prehaps, if Torin would approve, we could adopt him."

Susan barely got to finish as Lucy opened her mouth in surprise.

"ADOPT HIM?"

Quickly Susan shushed her sister.

"Not so loud. It is just a thought. He could live here with us and would not have a care in the world."

Lucy was nodding enthusiastically.

"Oh yes Suaan! That is wonderful! Oh do you think he would agree?"

Susan gave a shrug and went back to folding napkins. "It is hard to tell. He said he missed Archenland."

Lucy frowned.  "If he misses it why did he leave in the first place?"

"Torin never told me."

Lucy finished one side of the table and moved unto the other side, placing silverware.

"When will you ask him?"

Susan glanced at her sister.

"I had not considered that. We should ask Peter and Edmund first."

Lucy let out a laugh.

"I know they will agree!"

♡♡♡♡

The day passed on and was coming to a close. The banquet hall was ready and looked festive with lights and beautiful paper autumn leaves scattered at the table. Torin's sword practice with Edmud had been a success.

After dinner, Susan had requested a private meeting with the kings and Lucy to discuss adopting Torin. The boy in question, was already fast asleep in his bed.

"That is a big step Susan." Peter said quietly after the question had been asked.

"I love having Torin here, but he may prefer to return to his own home." Added Edmund.

"Archenland must have not been his home if he left it." Susan said rather sharply. More sharply than intended.

"We do not know his reasons for leaving." Peter reminded.

"Can we at least ask Torin?" Lucy asked.

The question silenced the room. Susan had not imagined there would be such debate over this.

"It is late and we have had a long day. Let us sleep on the idea and we shall decide tomorrow morning, before breakfast. Only then shall we ask him at breakfast if we come to an agreement." Finished Peter.

A/N

Hope you guys are into this!! There is one more chapter and it's gonna be gooood!

I've come to love the rare moments when you are just in the zone and can not stop the flow of creativity pouring through you. I just wish those moments happened during the day and not so late. It's 3:55am and I really need to get some sleep tonight