Chapter Two - The Real Reason

Just as words began to leave Charlie’s mouth, he disappeared from my view. He had fallen flat on his face. In his place stood Matthew, with his fists held out in front of him and a snarl on his face.

‘Get up and fight, Miller.’ He spat.

Before I knew what I was doing, my legs were running me towards the scene. My head banged as I took in an awful siren-like sound. It took me a couple of seconds to realise it was my own screaming. Just as Matthew threw his third punch, I arrived and threw my body in the way.

He stopped immediately. ‘Get out of the way, Sis!’ He yelled. ‘What are you doing?’

‘Matthew, please, stop!’ I cried. ‘Leave it!’

‘I told you if he came anywhere near you I’d…’

My brother didn’t have time to finish the sentence before his anger took hold. He shoved me to one side and kicked Charlie to the ground. This time, though, Charlie leapt up and landed a punch on Matthew’s face.

‘Don’t you dare shove Lou.’ Charlie bellowed, spit flying everywhere. ‘Ever.’

Just as Matthew was about to knock his brains out, Adam arrived on scene and restrained my furious sibling. Charlie stood staring at him in pure hatred, with a torn shirt and blood pouring out of his nose.

He turned to me. ‘Are you ok?’

I did the only thing I felt capable of doing. I turned and fled.

***

I was there for a good ten minutes before Matthew appeared. The sleeves of my jumper needed serious washing from the amount of times my nose and eyes had been wiped on the. Ew. Looking in the rear view mirror of the car I could see my eye makeup had run to my lips, and my entire face was red as blood. This observation caused a whole new gasp and fit of tears.

My brother sat awkwardly in the driver’s seat. ‘I’m sorry.’

‘You’re not sorry.’ I smiled sadly up at him, sniffing. ‘You’d do it again in a heartbeat.’

‘I’m sorry it hurt you.’ He amended.

We sat in silence, thinking things through. Matt dabbed at his bloody cheek with a tissue. I removed my hands from my dampened face and sat up straighter on the leather seat.

‘Why does it bother you so much?’ I asked. ‘That we broke up?’

Matthew paused. ‘Because… Ste told me…’

I gave him a look that told him to continue, even though I knew that Ste was never a reliable source of information. In fact, at least half of what he said was bullshit.

‘He, you know, told me the reason.’ I looked up and saw that my older brother was avoiding my eyes, and blushing.

Suddenly it all made sense. The anger, the aggression, the hatred. My brother thought this was all about sex. If it wasn’t happening to me, this whole situation would be almost amusing.

‘Matt. It’s not like that.’ I took a deep breath. ‘I dumped him.’

***

When we got back to the house, I made a break for my room. It was the one place I truly felt safe, and comfortable. I tore off my uniform, carelessly tossing it to the floor, and pulled on my old snoopy pyjamas. I was sat on my bed reading when Sophie caused my phone to go mental. Eventually, I gave in to the persistent buzzing, despite my new found fear of phone calls.

‘You have to do me a favour.’ She didn’t even wait for me to speak. ‘Please, please, please.’

‘Soph, you haven’t even told me what it is yet.’ I rolled my eyes and sighed.