Best Friends Forever

Monica linked our skinny arms together and dragged me in the direction of the opposition team’s captain, my resistance not having any effect at all. The boy stood in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by girls from the year above, laughing and flirting with a twinkle in his eye. It was the after match party, and it had been a Notre Dame victory, much to the disappointment of our school’s football team.

He still wore his football shirt, the dark blue contrasting with his lightly tanned skin. The boy’s wavy brown hair was currently being explored by the hands of a girl I didn’t recognise from Matthew’s year. Their bodies were lit up occasionally by the roaming disco lights, and all around them people were dancing together to the latest party music.

Just before we reached the dance floor, I pulled Monica back. ‘Mon, what exactly is our plan?’

‘You’re going to be my wing woman.’ She explained, looking past her curled blonde hair to eye the crowd. ‘Just don’t let the conversation get awkward.’

Once more, Monica tugged me towards the attractive boy. I held her back, causing her to nearly topple over in her heels. ‘It’s definitely going to be awkward.’

My best friend held up her friendship necklace to the one hanging around my neck. The two sides of the heart joined together as she connected them in her hand. ‘Best friends should do everything together. You and Adam are dating, so I need a boyfriend, then we can double date!’

Her puppy dog eyes convinced me with a deep sigh to go along with her plan. Setting an eager smile onto my young face, I tugged down my black skirt and went with Mon towards the boy, bracing myself for interaction with complete strangers.

***

Author's Note:

Please keep reading/voting/commenting - let me know what you think!

Who do you think is blackmailing Lou?

What do you think of Monica?