Chapter 3

Stepping out of her silver Porsche the next morning, Ellie waited for the beat up red truck to pull into the parking lot. She may not have told the vampires everything about herself, but she meant it when she said Bella Swan would be under her protection. Luckily for her, the brunette in question decided to show up early.

She watched as the brunette stood firmly by her truck watching the cars pulling into the lot before she traipsed over to her.

"Hello, Bella," Ellie grinned, leaning onto the truck next to Bella. "You looking for someone?"

"Um... Yes?" The girl awkwardly replied.

"Wouldn't happen to be Mr. Tall, Pale, and Brooding, would it?" the blonde teased.

"N-No," Bella said just a little too quickly, causing Ellie to lift a brow and laugh.

"It's okay, Bells. I won't judge. Tease you a little? Yes, but judge you for being interested? Never," Ellie paused for a moment, as if testing the truth to her words, before continuing. "I don't think he's a bad guy."

Bella gave a small smile before bumping shoulders with the blonde, "Thanks, El."

A small girl hears the screaming of her parents from her upstairs bedroom. Her mother sounding unhappy.

The same girl, now older, chooses not to go to her father's house, insisting that he come spend time with her at her mother's home instead.

She frowns on the car ride to her father's house, despising the idea of constant rain and cloud coverage, believing she'll continue to be the awkward, loner girl she's always been.

Ellie blinked rapidly before smiling, "Anytime, Bella. You know, I think this could be the start of a very good friendship."

"Me, too," Bella grinned before noticing the gigantic, red Jeep pulling into the parking lot.

The duo watched as the mix matched family of vampires, climbed gracefully out of the car. Ellie letting a short giggle lose when Alice caught her eye and waved excitedly to the blonde. Ellie sent a small wave back before catching Jasper's careful eyes on her and sending him a tiny smile and wave. The boy offering a gentle smile of his own in return.

Ellie turned back to Bella, seeing a mixture of emotions across her features. Disappointment because Edward didn't step out of the car, and confusion because Ellie seemed to know two of the remaining Cullens.

"He didn't come," the brunette frowned, hurt clearly written in her eyes. "I wanted to talk to him about yesterday, and he didn't come."

Ellie frowned, but decided offering encouragement would be better than throwing Edward to the wolves for hurting her new friend, "Maybe he's just sick, Bells. I wouldn't worry too much. He'll be back, I'm sure."

"Are you friends with the Cullens or something?" Bella questioned.

"Or something," the blonde said, allowing her thoughts to drift to her complex relationship with the vampires. With one intent on beginning a friendship with her and another being tied to her heart, she wasn't sure of her standings on the group. She had wanted to avoid the supernatural at all costs when she decided to move to Forks, but it seemed as if the universe had another plan in mind, especially if it had tethered her to a vampire for life. Shaking her head to rid her of her thoughts, she forced a smile onto her face and said,"Now, let's get to class before we're late."

"Okay," the brunette huffed before the blonde linked their arms and began pulling her into the school.

Classes were as boring as usual for Ellie, but she made due passing notes to Bella and Mike during their shared periods. She didn't see Edward in her gym class, but to her surprise, she did notice that Alice was in gym with her. She had no idea how she'd missed that yesterday.