Chapter 25

Standing outside of the ballet studio, Ellie knew that the duo were going to be unevenly matched. It didn't help that Bella had fidgeted the whole cab ride much to the irritation of Ellie. She knew she was worried and antsy, but she needed to collect herself before walking into a warzone. Being jumpy would only make things harder on the pair.

"I don't want him to hurt you, Ellie," Bella said, clenching her fingers into fists.

"Oh, trust me. He won't harm me. It would be very unwise on his part," Ellie said, stretching for a moment and pulling a gun out of her holster.

"What makes you so sure of that?" Bella asked. The confidence of the girl beside of her was bewildering.

"Because he knows if anything happens to me, he's going to die a slow and painful death," she said, sure of her answer. Jesse would kill him if he over stepped his bounds. She had no doubt about it.

Bella stared at her, confusion clear in her eyes. She didn't understand her blonde friend. The girl was incredibly vague with her words. She could only imagine the vast span of her thoughts. She filtered everything for them as if she didn't want them to know her story. What could have been so bad that Ellie couldn't tell them? Bella supposed that was probably a mystery for another day.

"You ready?" Ellie asked Bella, who looked anything but ready to face the vampire.

"Define ready," Bella said, steadying herself.

"Let's go save your mom," Ellie said, nodding her head.

"Well, that's motivation," Bella said, stepping toward the door, Ellie following step.

Entering the studio, the duo heard Bella's mother frantically calling for her. Ellie listened closely for the woman's thoughts, but found she couldn't hear them. She knew it was possible that she could just be like Bella, but she figured that the woman was just not present at all. She could hear James, however, and his thoughts were anything but pleasant. He was too pleased that Ellie was present, and that caused her to focus harder on getting Bella out safely.

"Mom? Mom!" the brunette called, only to hear her continue talking to Bella as if she had just found her, which wasn't the case.

A television came into view with a tape of Bella and her mother in the ballet studio playing on it. He was wicked smart, and he had played them like a game of poker. Only Ellie knew this game very well, and she was prepared to play her best hand.

"She's not here," Bella said, looking around the room. "He tricked us."

"Well, I technically knew she wasn't here," Ellie said, feeling the need to clarify that he hasn't duped her. "Villain 101 is kind of my thing."

"Bravo for figuring me out, Ladies," James said from behind of them. He was holding a video recorder. Lifting it, a wicked smile on his lips, he said, "I thought I'd make things more interesting. You see, it's no fun if they aren't a little angry when they come after me. I want them to watch you scream, pleading for your life as I rip it from you drop by drop. Have any last words for your boyfriend?"

Looking right at the camera, Bella spoke her only wish, "Don't do it. Don't try to avenge me. It's what he wants. Don't give him what he wants."

"You're sick, James," Ellie growled, ready to attack. He was beginning to push her last button, and he would regret it when he finally did. Everyone would. "Let Bella go, and I'll let you leave alive. Well, as alive as a dead man can get."

Before she could blink, he had her thrown into one of the mirrors, effectively shattering the glass in a spray around her.

"Let's face it, Princess, you're not who you used to be," he smirked before turning back to Bella, who had pulled out her pepper spray in hopes to somehow defend herself.