Chapter 22

Rosalie huffed as they crossed another county line. They had been driving for hours, and the redheaded vampire was still following them, and Rosalie was not pleased with the current circumstances they were under. She hated this vehicle. She hated Bella, and she hated that she was involved in this stupid vampire life period. She would much rather have died that terrible night in Rochester than have to deal with the stupidity of Edward and his unhealthy relationship with the human, and the human that she was currently toting around in this blasted truck wasn't acting much better.

"You shouldn't have done that," she said, glancing at the emissary in the vehicle who was causing her throat to burn.

"Probably not," said Ellie, who was concentrating on the thoughts of the redhead. "But I was trying to help Edward in the best way I knew how. That's why I was sent to you, to guide you and protect you from whatever may come your way."

"At the expense of yourself?" she questioned, anger bubbling inside of her. "At the expense of your mate?"

"Myself?" she asked, sadness in her voice. "Always. My mate? I would never put him in harm's way."

"But you very well could have destroyed him forever if he had lost control when you removed your ring," Rosalie growled. How could she not understand the consequences of her actions?

"I knew he wouldn't," Ellie said, hurt filling her at the thought of Jasper being damaged because of her. "I trust him."

"You shouldn't," she raged. She had thought Ellie was smarter than this. "You shouldn't trust any of us. We're vampires."

"I'm well aware of what I should and shouldn't do," Ellie quipped. She knew what Rosalie meant by her words, but she also knew that she had done what she considered best, and when she received her mark, she was required by destiny to trust them.

"Then you're just plain stupid!" Rosalie retorted. She couldn't believe what she was hearing from the girl. "I thought you were the smarter of the two. I thought you actually valued your life. I guess I was wrong."

"Rosalie, that's enough," Esme said sternly. "Ellie did what she believed to be best. Do not degrade her for that. Do not degrade her for her trust. She is aware of the dangers that we pose. I would say especially so because of the arsenal of weapons she's armed with. She is part of our family now, not only by choice, but by design. Respect her."

Rosalie huffed and gripped the wheel tighter, "Fine."

"Is she still following us, Ellie?" Esme asked, mainly to distract the blonde from her many thoughts.

Ellie closed her eyes for a moment, pushing the extra noise out before replying, "Yes, she still thinks I'm her. She hasn't made contact with the male yet, but I'm not sure how much longer it will be before they catch our rouse. From what I remember, they're both incredibly smart with an almost sixth sense about things. Of course, they're nothing compared to Alice, but they are not something to be underestimated."

Esme hesitated a moment before she asked, "When exactly did you meet them before?"

"Near two years ago," Ellie answered, knowing there were many questions she would have to answer before everyone was satisfied. "It was nearing the end of my freshmen year. They were passing through."

"And they didn't try to kill you?" Esme asked, concern written across her features. "Or were you hiding your scent then as well?"

"I didn't know I was an emissary at that time," Ellie said truthfully. "I was just a normal teenage girl with a nasty addiction to trouble. Well... as normal as someone who can move things with her mind."