Chapter 13

As it turned out, Edward wasn't talking to Bella, and that made Ellie's life all the more entertaining. Especially because it was all Bella talked about with Ellie. It was monotonous to say the least. A couple of weeks into Edward's silence, Ellie told her that he would talk to her when he was ready. Bella quietened down about it after that, and even though Ellie couldn't hear her thoughts, she knew he was still on the front burner of the brunette's mind. She wondered just how suspicious Bella was getting.

By the sixth week of his silence, Ellie was thrilled for a trip with her human friends to First Beach in La Push. She welcomed the thought of any kind of distraction. Especially if it meant forgetting about her ever growing feelings for a blond vampire she'd been spending copious amounts of time with.

Jasper did not like the idea that Ellie would be stepping into forbidden territory. Even though he had finally agreed to let her stay on her own just recently, he couldn't stand the fact that he couldn't even get close to her if she needed him.

"I still don't like it," he frowned, watching the girl as she pulled a textbook out of her locker.

Ellie sighed, turning her head to lock eyes with the vampire, "I'm still going."

"I can't protect you there, El," he said.

"I don't need you to protect me all the time," Ellie countered. "I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

The corners of Jasper's lips tugged upwards, "I know that. I just worry about you."

"I know," she said, her free hand reaching out to grasp his. "But you don't have anything to worry about."

"What about him?" he questioned. It had just been over a month since the incident in detention. Even though, he had let her start staying home alone again, he couldn't stop the nagging feeling that they were missing something.

"We haven't found any traces of him. It was probably just my imagination," she replied, though in her heart she knew there was always the possibility of him finding her. "Besides, I have to do this. I'm not going to let Bella or Mike go without protection. Edward would kill me if I let anything happen to Bella, and I would hate myself if I let anything happen to Mike. Plus Mike wants me to make nice with Jessica. She's his back up if Bella says no. Although, I really feel like it's more of a when."

"If you really think she'll say no, why do you encourage it?" Jasper raised a brow.

Ellie scoffed, "I'm his best friend. I'm supposed to encourage him to go after what he wants, and then pick up the pieces when he doesn't get it."

Jasper shook his head at the girl and chuckled before pulling her down the hallway to her class.

Ellie wasn't surprised when she found out from Bella that Mike had asked her to prom, and she'd turned him down. Mike had told her hours ago. She was surprised, however, when she found out from the brunette that Edward had talked to her, telling her they couldn't be friends, and then proceeded to block her truck in the lot inherently giving Tyler enough time to ask her to the prom.

"Bells, is there something in the water that makes all of them chase you?" Ellie laughed when she'd told her Eric had asked her to the dance as well.

"I don't know," she grumbled. "Have you had a lot of people ask you?"

"No," Ellie answered into the receiver. "They're all probably too scared of Jasper to try."

"Are you two finally dating then?" Bella asked, curiosity building in her voice.

"No," she replied. "I've told him I want to take things slow."

"Oh," she said, a mixture of confusion and understanding filtering through.