III

-Andrew's POV-

I didn't like looking at myself without my crown on. It reminded me of when I was nothing but a slave to the king. I used to be a weak little kid afraid to open his mouth, but now, I was the exact opposite.

I always removed my crown just as I felt I was about to sleep, so I wouldn't have to think I was without it. That crown was my obsession. To me, it was more than just a crown. It was a symbol of power and happiness in my life.

I went to my door to bolt it shut as always. My door had five locks, just in case. I removed the shoes I was wearing, and kicked them against the door. I unclipped the red cloak I had placed around my shoulders. It only made me feel colder. I threw the cloak on top of my shoes.

I changed my clothing into something better to sleep in, then went to my window.

Even when I was just a servant, I loved the sights of the outdoors. The lush green trees whose leaves changed with the seasons. The vibrant rose bushes that grew the most elegant flowers. The cloudy gray skies of one day, and the baby blue color of the next. Then of course, there were sunsets. The sight of seeing the sun sink below me, and it being out of my control, was something that still fascinated me.

I yawned loudly, blinking my eyes. I could feel the temptation of sleep tugging at me. It was trying to get me to relax, yet I didn't want to. I still had to try.

I went back to my colossal bed, pulling back the deep purple sheets and the thin white fabric beneath it. I closed my eyes, and tried sliding into bed. Unfortunately, I lost my balance before I could do that. My feet slipped out from beneath me, sending me to the floor. My crown hit the ground, and instinctively I grabbed it immediately. I steadily placed it back on my head, just as I noticed a box underneath my bed.

I knew exactly what it was, though I hadn't opened it in years. It was a box filled with things Elijah wrote to me and drew for me while we were servants.

He drew quite well. He'd often sketch out the tree visible from our window, or an outline of my face. I almost felt sorry about what I did to him.

I didn't care to think of the box. I removed my crown from my head one again, and set it gently inside the drawer of my nightstand. It was safe, and that fact put me at ease. I climbed back into bed and spread out the sheets. With one quick breath, I blew out the only candle in the room, leaving me in the dark. I relaxed myself in the bed, yet I was still as stiff as a board.

Being king had some disadvantages.

•••

That next day was filled with work for everyone. There was a party in three days, and we all had work to do. The chefs were already preparing breads. I even had servants hanging decorations on the door, and setting up extra chairs and furniture.

I needed to marry. I absolutely despised admitting that, but it was true. If someone killed me, they wouldn't be able to take over as long as I was married to someone. Whomever I was married to would then take over, but if they were killed, then the power shifted to someone else.

I remember hearing about a king a few decades back who was killed by his own wife. His wife ruled the kingdom for five years, before she was killed as well. I also heard that she had been the greatest ruler the kingdom of Laine had ever seen. Her named was Queen Bailey.

And, part of me was anxious to get married. There was the constant fear of them murdering me, or me falling in love with them, then having them die.

"Sir," someone said from behind me, poking my shoulder. I turned around attentively, and saw it was Brandon. "What is it?" I snapped, rolling my eyes. I was sure that I had better things to be doing. "What flowers did you want us to decorate with?" Brandon asked. His widened his eyes.

I thought for a moment. Sunflowers would be too bright and clash horribly with the rest of the decorations, and violets wouldn't be noticed well. "Jasmine flowers would be nice," I said in a somewhat kinder voice. Brandon nodded his head, and then ran off to the cart of flowers that had just been pulled in.

I decided that I didn't want to work much anymore. I licked my lips lazily, and walked back to my throne. I sat down, and my eyes wandered around the room to observe what others were doing.

Two large tables had been set up on either side of the throne, and they both would soon contain bowls full of food. I could see Brandon placing the flowers in any vase around the room, and in any place lacking in decorations. People were already sweeping the floor, and removing the thin layer of dirt caked on top of it.

The throne room was already beginning to look nicer. I smiled partially, my lips parting as they slowly curved upwards. I watched for a few more minutes, then announced lunch. Everyone sighed, and made their way to the dining room where the workers ate lunch at.

I sighed as well as I walked to the main dining room. It had beautiful glass cabinets, a glossy wood table, and beautifully crafted seats. I had nobody important that ate with me. I usually ate alone, unless I had the kings and queens of neighboring kingdoms visit, or I left to eat with them.

I took my seat at the chair on the end, and immediately slammed my elbows onto the table. I groaned loudly, and swung my head into the table. Some part of me wished I had better workers. Chefs who could cook better meals, maids who could clean quicker, and servants who actually listened. It was ridiculous that I had three personal servants and two of them ignored every word I said.

I heard the clacking of ceramic, and looked up to see a cook placing a large platter in front of me. I didn't bother to thank her.

•••

That night I couldn't sleep. I was in my most comfortable clothes, and my sheets had just been cleaned. I slept fine the past few days, and I couldn't figure out what was stopping me now.

Maybe I was having anxiety because my crown wasn't on my head like always. I had a problem, and that I was willing to admit. I was obsessed with power, a fact almost everyone knew.

Another reason for that same anxiety was the fear I'd never get married. That I would never fall in love, and if I died, my reign would end completely. If I had children, they would be able to continue my reign, as long as they were of age when I died.

I needed someone who I could get to fall deeply in love with me, so they word never think of killing me. But, that same person needed to be able to challenge or charm anyone who tried to kill them. I had never met a person remotely similar to that, so, I was running out of hope.

I was too young to let so much stress consume me.

(A little bit of filler for y'all. Things are about to get wild tho)