Epilogue

-Brandon's POV-

Never before had I seen the kingdom in such harmony. When I walked the streets in my crown, people stared longingly at me, realizing the reign of tyranny was over.

My first order was that all prisoners and servants be released. That way, no one would have any reason to want to kill me. I had freed Brian first. When I had opened the door and told him he could go, he ran to me and embraced me tightly.

I allowed citizens to roam freely in the streets without any threat of arrest. A few young women threw flowers over the gates for me. I enjoyed the love I was receiving for my actions, and knew I was a favored ruler. After all, the last few decades, the kingdom had been ruled by absolutely evil monarchs.

The poverty that once ravaged the kingdom disappeared completely. Markets became full of fresh supplies because as king, I demanded none of it for myself. For those who were less fortunate, I offered them jobs in the castle. They worked on their own terms and hours, and I gave them places to live inside or outside the castle.

Today was the day I met with Onys, who I just now learned had been ruling since King Leal was in power. We were to meet out in the garden, near the newly grown patch of larkspur. They were Andrew's favorite, and since he was no longer with me, I grew something to remind me of his love. Additionally, I planted marigolds for Brent, and orchids for Hayden.

My thoughts and memories were interrupted as footsteps rang out behind me. I spun around, to see Onys' cheerful expression. One thing I'd learned was that he was never quite sad. "Brandon," he spoke softly. "Onys," I said in return. "Welcome back to Laine."

Onys looked around the garden, before his eyes stopped at the larkspur. He didn't question the new flowers. I figured he must have known. "I haven't seen the kingdom since Andrew was king," he commented, brushing his fingers against the flower pedals. "It's in a far better shape. You've done well."

My chest suddenly stung. It hit me that it was now three months since I killed my first and only love. "Were you scared?" Onys asked me, turning back to me. I assumed he was speaking about Andrew's death. "Not really," I told him, "I was just worried about the hole that'd be left in my heart afterwards."

Onys creased his brows, giving me a look of pity. "You cried?" He said. I nodded my head. "A little bit that night."

After that exchange of words, the area fell dead silent. It was so uncomfortable, it made me twitch. I felt the need to break the silence, but before I could, Onys did.

"You're very brave for that," he told me. I gave him an look of confusion. I thought he and Andrew were best friends? "Weren't you mad that I killed your friend?" I asked him. I was somewhat shocked. He and Andrew were so close in age and got along so well, I could have sworn that Onys would have felt more pained.

"Oh, of course not," Onys chuckled in reply. "You see Brandon, it was my idea to make Andrew fall in love with you." My hear must have skipped a beat, because I felt breathless. "And look," he continued, "he truly did fall for you."

"So your plan was to marry us? Didn't I ruin that?" I pushed. Maybe he was angry, but he wasn't showing me. "No, no, my plan wasn't to marry the two of you," Onys told me, taking a step forward. I adopted a taller posture so I could look about the same height as him.

Onys smiled to himself, then shrugged. "I recognized Andrew was a tyrant from the start," he explained. "So, my plan was to make you the king."

My lips parted, and a gasp fell out. "It all went according to plan," Onys said to me, taking yet another steps forward. He grabbed my hand gently, then glared at it. He saw the few calluses that remained on my palm and released my hand. Onys then looked back up at me, then towards the larkspur, and then back to me.

"And I can already tell, you're the best leader Laine has ever had."

THE END