XVIII

-Andrew's POV-

It was still dark out when I awoke. I opened my eyes, and immediately noticed the full moon, which I could see perfectly from my window. Beauty in nature was one of my favorite things. The sight put me at ease.

I spread my arms to stretch them, but immediately hit something. Whatever it is I hit made a small sound. I turned my head, to see Brandon laying next to me. His shirt was removed, and the covers were situated just above his waist. I had forgotten about last night, when I suggested we spend the night together. He had been enthusiastic about the idea.

Brandon let out a soft groan, and his fingers began to twitch. He was probably dreaming. Knowing it had been a cold night, I pulled the covers over the rest of his body, and moved next to him. His dark eyes shot open, making contact with mine. "Are we getting up?" He whispered, propping himself up. I set my hand on Brandon's chest, and pushed him down. "Not yet," I said, grabbing his waist.

Brandon didn't put up a fight. He simply pushed his head into my chest, and wrapped one hand around my torso. "It's freezing," he complained, his hot breath hitting my skin. I sighed, and began running my fingers through Brandon's hair. He seemed to enjoy it. "I'll grab another blanket," I offered, not allowing Brandon to protest.

I rose from the bed and trudged towards my dresser. I yanked open the drawer, and pulled a thick fleece blanket from it. It took up the entire drawer. I looked up, and peered out the window. I saw two tall figures out there, skipping. Perhaps it was the guards fooling around. I'd scold them in the morning.

I made my way back to the bed, blanket in hand. On first instinct, I tossed it over Brandon, as he had been the one complaining of the cold. I saw he was asleep again. His lips were parted slightly, and longer portions of his hair were covering his eyes.

I pulled myself back into bed, adjusting to the warmth. I slowly inched closer to Brandon, until finally, I could hold him again. I pulled him closer so that there was no room left between us.

For once in my life, the bed wasn't cold.

•••

Hayden and Brent were late for role call again. I wasn't surprised. However, this time, instead of sleeping in, they were speaking to David in the dungeon. I had them pulled out of the dungeon, and forbid them from going back.

I dismissed everyone to work, all except for Brandon. I told him that he could roam the garden for the next few hours, and that I'd let him have lunch with me today. It was going to be a normal day for me, besides the fact I had to hang David. The execution would be in a few minutes, and I couldn't miss it.

I made my way down to the dungeon, making sure to take long steps so that I didn't cover my shoes in dirt. The dungeon was an incredibly filthy place, mainly due to the fact that traitors deserved nothing more. David's cell was at the very end of the hall, farthest from the light. It was likely that he was in complete darkness.

I made my way to his cell, walking slowly. The sounds my shoes made against the disgustingly rusted floor rang out in ominous tones. I stopped at David's cell door and peered in. He looked up at me, hatred apparent in his eyes.

"Hello, David," I said in a monotone voice. His eye twitched. "Good morning," he said sarcastically in response, beginning to stand up. "Ready to kill me, I guess?"

I shook my head at him. "You don't have to die," I said, slowly opening the cell door. David took a step back, knowing if he charged at me I would draw my sword, and kill him instantly. "But what?" He snapped at me, spit flying from his mouth. "Do I have to be your slave, is that it?" I chuckled at his accusations. "Not at all," I responded, my hand moving to the handle of my sword. David noticed this, and raised his eyebrows.

"So, what? What could you possibly want?" He growled at me. I flicked my tongue over my teeth, and smiled deviously at him. "Tell what Hayden and Brent told you this morning," I said, "and I'll simply let you go."

David's eyes lit up. Any chance at freedom, and having another opportunity to kill me, he would take. "Hayden and Brent? The two tall boys?" He questioned. I nodded my head. "Yes," I affirmed, "the ones the guards had to pull away."

David smirked and stood up straight, as if he were already prepared to leave. "Well, they asked me all about what I was being killed for," he started. "And when I told them I tried to kill you, they kept telling me how they'd love to try that, how they thought of it a few months ago, but didn't want some kid named Brandon to get hurt."

That was it. The only reason that those two hadn't killed me yet was that if they were caught, Brandon would die as well. But Brandon wasn't involved in any of this now.

"Then," added David, "the kid with the darker hair, Brent, I'm pretty sure, pulls a paper out of his pocket and tells me that it's their plan to murder you." He stopped to clear his throat, but then carried on. "They said they'd do it right before you hung me, so that one of them would be king, and so they could stop me from dying."

"So, they plan on killing me today, is that what they said?" I confirmed. David smiled contently. "That's exactly what they said," he assured me. I could see that he had grown more relaxed.

"Thank you, David," I said. "I guess you aren't quite as awful as I believed you to be." I stepped out of the doorway, and made room for him to exit. I was glad that I now had his trust. "If you'll follow me to the front gate, I'll release you from there," I told him. David seemed happy to cooperate.

"I honestly believed for moment that you had lied to me, that you would just leave me in that cell to rot away," David told me as we exited the dungeon. I laughed nervously. I still had an overwhelming desire to kill him.

I walked David to the front gate of the castle, where a few guards eyed me in suspicion. However, nobody questioned me. I let the guards pull open the gates, and allowed David to take a single step forward, before I grabbed his arm. "David," I said to him. Our eyes locked, and I knew I couldn't wait any longer.

I was a liar. I had never had any intention of letting David go, nor of getting along with him. Without thinking twice, I drew my sword and promptly stabbed David through the stomach, with so much force that the blade came out his back. Blood spilled onto the ground, and I could hear the screams of townspeople. I flicked my wrist, causing even more blood to pour into the streets. This wasn't an ordinary execution, but this was the avenging of Charlotte as well.

"Liar," David choked out. He fell to the ground, slipping off of my now bloody sword. I watched as his chest stopped moving, and his eyes stopped blinking. "Goodbye," I hissed, letting spit fly onto his corpse. I turned around and walked back up to the castle, leaving the maids to dispose of the body.

I could feel the hatred taking over. I was ravenous for revenge, and fueled by a lust for blood. Brandon couldn't stop me from what I was about to do. As much as I loved him, nothing he could ever do could change my mind.

I had a bloody sword in my hand, and two more servants to kill.

(RIP David, and also your feelings. Hope y'all are ready for the drama and distress of the next chapter.)