V

-Andrew's POV-

The next morning was strangely serene.

There were birds outside the windows singing, the trees were turning shades of orange and brown, yet the glass was still a bold shade of green. The sun was beginning to rise, I could tell as the light splashed into my room. It was beautiful, and almost peaceful.

"Perfect," I whispered to myself. I picked up my crown, and headed to face the large mirror in my room. I saw what a mess my hair way, sighed, and began combing it into an orderly fashion. I would have to have it cut soon. I placed my crown over my head and adjusted it so it couldn't fall off.

Tomorrow I would have a party that determines my future as a king. If I didn't find someone to marry there, I didn't know where else I could look. The previous night, Onys had told me all about the maidens he would bring to the party, and it relaxed me. His words brought the slightest hope that maybe I wouldn't die alone.

More sun came in through the windows, and I could tell it was going to be a good day. Maybe all my servants would listen to me this morning, or maybe the chefs would somehow cook better than usual.

I put on my usual attire. A plain red shirt, and the chainmail garment that covered it. A cloak the same color of red draped and fastened around my shoulders, polished black shoes, and durable pants made from jean material. I took my belt from the hook above the door, and put it on as always. My sword dangled from its sheath on the side. 

Today was going to be a good day, indeed.

I unbolted my door and began walking down the elongated hall, adorned with flowers and expensive decorations. I certainly felt kingly today. The weather was finally cooling, as well. Another season was rolling through.

I could hear the footsteps of guards and knights shuffling through the throne rooms. It was such a familiar sound that it brought peace to me. The sun was just beginning to rise, and I expected all my workers to be up soon.

I entered the throne room and the guards froze in my presence. I rolled my shoulders back and smiled for once. Surely today would be a good one. The castle was already fully decorated, and I associated that with even the slightest chance I'd find someone to marry.

The guards and knights bowed, and the smile disappeared from my face. As happy as I was, I didn't want to show it. "Good morning, everybody," I said loudly, so that they all heard me. "Good morning, sir," they all said in unison.

I climbed atop my throne, sighing as I sat down. Hopefully today and tomorrow would come with success.

I watched silently as my workers began lining up in the room, the sun rising higher with each second. Soon, it'd be fully above the horizon, and then I could call names. It felt as if it was taking longer today. I closed my eyes for a single moment, and when I opened them, the room was fully drenched in light. Time to call names.

I began reading through my list, each name promptly being followed by "here" or even "here, sir". Just as I called Brandon's name, he ran into the room, calling that he was present as he slipped into line. I continued to read, and found only Hayden and Brent were not up. I wasn't surprised.

I dismissed the workers to attend to their morning duties, leaving the room empty in a matter of seconds. Except for, of course, Brandon. He would have to wait until I told him what to do. He stood frozen in his spot, staring up at me.

"Brandon," I sighed, slumping into my throne. "Why aren't your friends awake?" Brandon looked around, somewhat panicked. His lips parted as if he were about to speak. "They weren't there when I woke up. The window was open, and... And their beds were still warm," he told me.

"Good god," I groaned. I too was now in a state of panic. "Guards!" I shouted. "Check the surroundings for two servants!" I slipped off of my throne, and walked to Brandon. He jumped back a little, and I grabbed him by the upper arm, beginning to drag him back to his shared room. I wasn't mad at him, I was simply at his idiotic friends.

I burst into the room, and then let go of Brandon. Sure enough, the wide was wide open. I clenched my fists out of anger. "Curses!" I cried out. Brandon was now rubbing the spot I grabbed him at, which appeared to be bruised. I don't regret that.

Two guards entered the room, swords pulled out only by a few inches. "What's the matter, sir?" One much taller than me asked. I turned to him. "Two servants have escaped. Hayden and Brent, the ones that get it trouble far too often."

I then heard some frantic scuffling from the throne room. "Sir!" Another guard called. I growled under my breath, and grabbed Brandon once again. Though, this time, I grabbed him lighter and by the wrist. We entered the throne room, guards following close behind.

As soon as I came in the room, I saw two more guards holding Hayden and Brent, who were both struggling. "We found them by the east gates, sir," a guard informed me. I was furious. I was determined to make today a great day, and these hooligans had messed it all up.

"You ran away?" Brandon said, frowning and looking to his friends. He went to move forward, but I grabbed him roughly by his collar. He gasped in what I assumed was shock. "Stay," I ordered, "don't go near them."

"Don't grab him like that!" Hayden shouted angrily. I only rolled my eyes, swung my arm back, and slammed my fist into the side of his face. A crunching noise filled the room, and blood began pooling from Hayden's mouth. "Don't you dare speak to me that way!" I growled.

"Well maybe if you weren't hurting Brandon-" Brent spoke up, but I gave him no time to finish. I struck him in the face as well, resulting in a busted lip. I didn't say anything to him yet, I just stood there, enraged.

"Why can't you be like Brandon?" I yelled, gesturing to the boy. Brandon froze in place, before he shuffled backwards. "I don't see why you never listen to me! If you do this tomorrow, I swear, I'll have you beheaded in this very room!" I continued my tirade.

Hayden jumped forward, but the guards held him back. "I could care less if I died or not!" He said. He reached a hand out, clawing at me. "Fine!" I shouted yet again. "If either of you act this way tomorrow, I'll... I'll..." I was at a loss for words. They barely had anything of importance.

"I'll kill Brandon!" I spit out, and the room fell silent. Hayden and Brent's faces dawned the same look of horror, and I knew I said the right thing. They wouldn't misbehave now. "You know what to do, guards," I said. Not a single word was uttered as the guards forced the two out of the room, and into the dungeon.

"You're going to kill me?" Said the voice from behind me. My eyes widened, and I turned around to see Brandon. His own eyes were welling with tears. "I just said that to scare them," I said quickly and calmly. "I don't think I'd choose to do that."

With that, I walked towards him and gave him a light pat on the back. He smiled nervously, and a little chuckle fell out. "I'm sorry," I sighed. I pulled his sleeve down to cover the bruise on his arm. I felt mercy for once.

And thus began my undoing.