XIII

-Brandon's POV-

"I promise, we'll be right back," I said to my mother, rushing out the door. Hayden and Brent were waiting for me at the corner of the street. "Be safe!" My mother yelled anxiously. I personally thought she worried too much.

I was younger, it must have been two years ago. I still lived with my parents, due to the lack of jobs in town, I couldn't find work or a home.

I ran towards Hayden and Brent, stopping abruptly as I neared them. "What are we gonna do?" Brent asked, pulling a few gold coins from his pocket. "I don't know," I said. I began playing with the leather cords that held my vest together. 

"We're a group of grown men," Hayden pointed out, "what's there for us to do without looking suspicious?" I sighed. He was right, for once. The economy was so poor that one was lucky to eat even once a week.

"My parents said they'll become crooks if this keeps up," Brent said. He looked up at the sky, as if it were nothing. I nodded cluelessly.

"Do you all want to go to the square? Look at the fountain?" Hayden suggested. I smiled, and nodded again. "I love the fountain," I replied, looking towards him. Him and Brent smiled brightly.

"The square it is," Brent said. He then took off running. "I'll meet you there!" Hayden and I dashed off after him.

The run to the square was full of tripping, laughing, and screaming at each other playfully. It was as if I were a child again. You didn't need money to have fun, as my parents always told me. Little did I know, this day would be the last time I saw my parents.

When we arrived at the town square, not a single person was there. All the market stands were packed with food and left unattended. "Yes," Brent said, under his breath. I watched him pocket a few strawberries. "Brent, someone could see you," I whispered harshly, reaching for his pockets. He slapped my hand away, and I saw Hayden beginning to fill this bag with apples and some fabric.

"Guys!" I said, louder this time. "Please, you'll get us arrested!" Hayden chuckled and pat my shoulder. I pushed him away. "Eat some of it," he offered, pulling me closer to him. Brent waved a loaf of bread in my face, and regrettably, I took a bite out of it. I had never tasted anything so fresh.

I took the bread from Brent's hands, and began gnawing at it. My friends laughed softly, and continued to loot the booths until their bags were filled to the brim. Surely we would look suspicious. Barely anyone in town had this much food without stealing.

"Let's go," Hayden said as I finished off the bread. He gripped his bag tightly, and the three of us began to walk away from the square. We tried to look casual and natural, so we didn't draw any attention. However, our plot was ruined. Footsteps rang out from behind us. We froze, not daring to move.

"Turn around," a deep, loud voice commanded. I didn't dare to disobey, and turned back to see two heavily armed men. Hayden and Brent turned around as well.

The two armed men whispered among themselves for a moment. I stood frozen in fear. Hayden slowly moved his hand towards my upper arm, and I looked up at him. "We need to run," he whispered softly. I then looked to Brent. He wore the same hard, emotionless expression Hayden did. I was ready to listen to them, but the other men spoke first.

"Would the three of you like any water?" The taller man said. I raised my eyebrows, as did my friends. We were taken off guard by their kindness. My mouth curled into a smile. "Yes, please," I responded. The man's arm extended, three bottles of foggy water in hand. The water didn't look the cleanest, but I couldn't complain.

I gave the bottles to Hayden and Brent, who immediately began chugging them. "Thank you," I said. I chose not to drink my water yet, as I had drank some earlier today. "Aren't you going to drink?" The shorter man said. My eyes widened. "Do I have to?" I questioned, taking a step back. I held my water closer.

"We'd just prefer if you did," the man replied. I smiled nervously, and trying to avoid being rude, began to unscrew the cap of the bottle. No sooner did I uncap my bottle did Hayden and Brent both fall unconscious to the ground. "Oh god," I said to myself.

Now was the time to run.

I had barely moved a step before I was wrestled to the ground, a hand clamping over my mouth. I realized why the water was so clouded. They were trying to knock us out. I felt a sharp pain in my head, and my vision started to darken.

That was the last time I saw my home. When I woke up, I'd be in the castle of Laine, and all I would ever be there was a servant.

•••

I woke up from my dream, panting softly. I slowly sat up in my cot, wiping the sweat from my forehead. "Brandon?" Hayden called out. I whimpered quietly, pulling my thin sheets around my body. "Yeah?" I asked. I sighed, nearly choking on my anxiety. "What were you dreaming of?" Hayden asked me.

I groaned in discomfort. "Memories, that's all," I responded. My body became warmer as I pulled the sheets tighter around me. "Horrible, frightening memories..."

"You shouldn't worry about memories. They're the past," Brent grunted, sliding out of his bed. I watched him limp over to the window, and sit next to it. "I don't see how you take it so well," I told him. I reached for the small glass of water on the floor, next to my bed. I had always been sensitive to things, but my friends were the opposite.

Brent turned to me, his face illuminated by the moon light. "It gets hard," he said as he moved next to me, "but the king isn't stronger than us, realize that." He was now standing next to my bed. "Sometimes I feel he is," I told Brent, who sighed.

"He has armies," I continued. "He's backed by a ton of other kings, and he's got way more battle experience than us. I think he is stronger."

"Lies," Hayden interrupted. "He only kills people to show how great he is. Arrogance isn't strength." He then stood up, and joined Brent. The two were looking over me. I felt Hayden's cold hand press against my forehead, which was hotter than usual. "You're sick," he told me, "go back to sleep." I shoved him lightly. "I don't want to," I protested. Hayden used his hand to push my face back onto my pillow. "Please, it's for your health," he said.

I rolled my eyes. I would have added some sarcastic comment, but it would get me no where. Instead of arguing, I pressed my body into my mattress, and slowly closed my eyes.