XVII

-Andrew's POV-

The day before, Bennett informed me that Onys wished to meet with Brandon. While I was ecstatic about finally taking Brandon somewhere, he would probably be clueless. He hadn't been outside the castle in years. He probably forgot all about the other kingdoms.

I rose up from my bed, not bothering to fix the sheets. I'd be back in them before I knew it. I trudged to my door, wrenching open the locks and grabbing my clothing. My morning routine was so repetitive, it no longer brought me any pleasure. At least I had Brandon.

When I was finishing clipping my cloak to my shoulders, I opened the door and stepped into the hall. As I walked, the clicking of my boots against the floor rang out. It was enough to wake even the deepest sleeper.

I walked into the throne room to see all the workers were already gathered. I had woken up late. My eyes wandered to Brandon, who was looking at me intently. I let my lips curl into a smirk, and he smiled brightly at me.

I sat down in my throne and started to call out names. Everyone was here. Perhaps it would be better of a day than yesterday.

As I called the last name, I stood up and stretched. Everyone dispersed to attend to their jobs, but as Brandon walked away, I grabbed his arm. Hayden and Brent looked back at the two of us. I glared at them, and they turned away.

"I've got a surprise," I whispered to Brandon. He laughed softly, then turned to me. "What is it?" He asked. Everyone had left the room by then, and no guards were present. I grabbed Brandon and pulled him closer to me. "We're going to see Onys," I told him. My hand gently touched the back of his head. Our breathing was the only sound in the room.

"Sounds good," Brandon told me. He looked down at his feet, and placed a hand on his shoulder. With one finger, I lifted his head, and kissed him once again. This one, however, only lasted for a few seconds.

"You ever rode a horse before?" I asked Brandon, letting go. He nodded. "It's been a while, though," he replied. I chuckled at his statement. My hand wandered down to grab his, and I began leading him to the stables.

•••

"I told you it would all work out," Onys told me. I rolled my eyes at him.

After Brandon and I's ride to Elmont, we had stopped in the garden to meet with him. I still hadn't introduced Brandon to Onys yet.

While Onys and I sat on a bench outdoors, talking over the events of he past months, Brandon was across us, wandering the garden. Occasionally, I could see his face through gaps in the rose bushes. I noticed small tufts of facial hair had begun to appear above his upper lip. Though it didn't look quite right, I said nothing to him.

"I guess you were right," I told Onys, who was watching Brandon as well. The clouds then spread apart, and sunlight spilled onto the ground. It was so bright, I had to squint. "Come across any complications?" Onys asked me. I shook my head. "Nothing serious," I told him, "just Brandon's horrid friends." Onys pulled his eyes off of Brandon and directed them towards me. "Horrid? Are they that awful?" My eyes rolled to the back of my head.

"You have no idea," I spat. "Every single day, they'll get in trouble. It's refusing to do work, swearing at me or someone else, ignoring my orders, waking up late, they even snuck out once!" Onys wouldn't know my struggle. All his servamtd were paid, voluntary workers.

"And what do you do about it?" Onys asked me. I looked back at the garden. I could see Brandon was watching me through the gaps in the bushes. A smile crept into my face. "The only thing I know," I admit. "Violence. Beating, whipping, as long as it hurts them." Onys wrinkled his nose. "Knowing you, that's not surprising, Andrew," he commented.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I know we're close, Onys," I said, "but there are many things you don't know about me." Onys laughed loudly. "There are many things you are unaware that I know," he replied. He opened his mouth to speak some more, then closed it again, as if deep in thought.

"Enough of this talk," Onys finally said. "I want to meet the boy."

I snapped my fingers, and Brandon pushed his head through the bushes. "Yes, sir?" He said. I chuckled, as there were a few flowers stuck in his curly hair. "Come here, Onys wants to meet you." I instructed. Without a word, Brandon pulled his head from the bushes, and began walking out of the garden. Within only a few seconds, Brandon emerged from the garden. His hair was littered with flowers, and he was clueless to that fact.

"You've got flowers in your hair," Onys told him. Brandon's eyes widened, and he quickly shook his head, most of the flowers falling to the ground. There was only one flower left, a small rose behind his ear. "I'm sorry about that, King Onys," Brandon said, causing Onys to smile brightly. "No need to apologize," Onys said. "You're next in line for King of Laine, correct?"

With that, Brandon's jaw dropped open. I hadn't told him anything about that plan yet. "S-sir? What does he mean?" He asked me, his eyes wide and innocent. My breath hitched. "Well, I hadn't told you yet," I said.

I stood up to reach Brandon's level. His lips were parted, and I could see the chapped skin of them. He reached out to grab my hand, and I took it, holding tightly. A gust of wind blew past us, knocking the rose loose from Brandon's hair. I caught it, and put it back.

"What do you have to tell me?" Brandon asked. I closed my eyes, then slowly opened them back up. "I planned to marry you once we were close enough," I confessed, letting my voice crack a few times. Brandon reached for my upper arm. "R-really?" He stuttered, a smile growing on his face. I could hear Onys chuckle behind us, ruining the moment. Brandon and I turned back, with me glaring angrily.

I watched patiently as Onys began talking with Brandon, question after question.

•••

"It's true? We're going to marry? And I'll be next in line to be king?" Brandon asked me as soon as we left Onys' castle. I sighed softly, clinging to his wrist. "You'll be an heir if I marry you," I told him, "but I'd have to tell all the citizens. I don't feel ready to do that yet."

I heard Brandon whimper softly, as if disappointed. I reached for his hand, and he looked at me with wide eyes. "One day," I told him. He swallowed hard and turned away from me. His eyes were directed at the setting sun, and so were mine.

(The slightly evil writing plan of mine is falling into place. Up next, a death of one of your favorites who shall remain unnamed for now.)