XXI

-Andrew's POV-

That next morning, the three bodies were hauled out to the streets, to be put in wheelbarrows and burnt to ash. Brandon's sorrow mood didn't cease, so I allowed him to stay in my room the whole day while I ruled. I wanted so badly to marry him, but how would the citizens react if they found out?

I was slumped into my throne, motionless and deep in thought. This morning was rather easy. No one was late for role call, no one caused trouble around the castle, and most importantly, nobody was shooting arrows at my heart. All my problems were gone. The sensation of peace relaxed me, as if I had nothing to fear at all.

I was near sleep when the front doors were pulled open, and a familiar figure came marching into the throne room. It was Bennett. His hair was longer than ever, but his clothes seemed new and clean. "Bennett!" I shouted joyously. "What news have you brought?"

Bennett didn't answer my question, he only stared at me, stopping a few feet in front of my throne. "Actually, I had a question for you," he told me, bowing slightly. I raised my brow, a bit angered that he hadn't brought me anything. "What is it?" I snapped, my welcoming tone changing to a colder one. Bennett looked at me, surprised.

"I heard you had three people executed privately yesterday?" He questioned. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. "That's true," I admitted. I settled into my throne. Before I could tell Bennett to leave, he spoke again. "May I ask who those people were?" He continued. I let a loud groan escape my lips. "If you wish," I snarled at him, clutching my chin. "It was two rebellious servants and an assassin."

Bennett looked directly at me. "Why?" He pushed, leaning in. I stood up from my throne and roughly pushed him back. "I don't have to answer to you!" I shouted, fists clenched. Bennett stared at me in horror. He knew that I had changed my attitude towards him. "You have certainly changed, King Andrew," he said. He did nothing more as he turned around and walked back to the doors. They were sealed behind him, and the light spilling into the room was cut off.

Why would he want to know any of that?

I was falling apart. Just when I believed I could change and become a kind, merciful ruler, those servants had to ruin it. Now, my only love hated me. I wanted to scream at myself. I felt hatred boiling inside me.

Maybe now I could go and find Brandon's new servant. Despite the fact I'd agreed that Brandon would determine the way they were treated, I decided I'd beat the servant before they got here. I needed to make sure they felt worthless, and could do nothing in their power to overthrow me.

I would have to look for a short, thin person. Their gender didn't matter, but I had to ensure they wouldn't be missed. I would travel across kingdom lines if I had to, even if it meant risking war. As long as my love was happy.

"Ray, Isaac, ready a few soldiers," I ordered, "we're going hunting."

•••

We had found ourselves in the middle of Metrona, a small and isolated kingdom in the mountains. Houses were poorly constructed of wood and stone, the crop fields were only twenty feet wide, and the markets had very little to sell. The king here couldn't raise an army if he tried.

"Sir, what should we look for?" Ray whispered into my ear as we dismounted our horses. I began thinking again. "Small and weak," I told him. I turned back to look at Isaac and the other guards that had come along. "No older than me, and with minimal happiness."

With those words, my guards scattered about. Two of lower power ran into the nearest home, a shack made of loose bricks. Ray and Isaac made their way down the road, swords raised high and ready to strike. I looked around, and saw a nicer cottage on the top of a hill. Steam arose from its chimney, provoking my curiosity. I tied my horse to an abandoned market stand and ran up to the home.

The hill was shockingly steep, and I was clueless as to how the owner was able to make the walk often. When I reached the top, I was left panting. The sun began peeking through the clouds. My legs pulled me to the front door, where there was a transparent glass pane. I peered through, and saw two young blondes. One was a male with peculiar stretched ears, and the other was a woman in a blue dress.

I sent my foot flying into the door, knocking it off of its hinges. The two inside gasped, the woman screaming. When the man saw me, his eyes widened. "King Andrew?" He gasped, clutching his chest. "Of Laine?"

I nodded. The woman screamed again, this time in anger. "King Andrew?" She shrieked. "G-get away from us! I've seen what you've done to people!" Tears came to her eyes. I could see the undeniable rage in them. Before I could respond, the woman flung herself at me. "Aster, don't!" The man yelled. Before the woman considered his warning, I drew my sword. It pierced the woman's heart before she even touched me.

"Aster?" The young man gasped, running to kneel beside her. She had died the moment I stabbed her. "Aster?" I questioned. The boy looked up at me. "What an odd name," I remarked, kneeling beside him. I could see his obviously thin frame.

"What is your name?" I then asked. The boy wrinkled his nose in disgust.
"I don't see why you'd want to know," he spat at me. I sprung upwards, and pulled my sword out once again. The male shrinked back as I pressed it to his throat. "Name," I growled, spitting on his face.

The boy was so paralysed by fear, he didn't bother to wipe his face of the spit. "Brian Van B," he told me, managing not to stutter. I smiled. Though his name was not as unique as Aster's, I was still intrigued by it. "Well, Brian," I told him, dragging out my words. "I think I found a new servant."