VII

-Andrew's POV-

One second, life was perfect. I had found the woman I would marry. I was holding her in my arms. We were being illuminated by the sun. I was happy for once.

And just a second later, a glimmering silver arrow flew through the castle doorway, and struck her in the side.

"C-Charlotte!"

My single scream was enough to alert everyone. Everyone in the castle was alerted to my side, as we all hovered over Charlotte's body. We couldn't waste time now. I couldn't stay here. I had to find who did this.

"Guards! Get Charlotte to a medic, immediately. Onys, and higher knights, I need you to follow me. We're going to pursue who did this!" My voice was no longer soft and emotional as it was a few moments ago. It was it's usual gruff tone of authority.

Onys didn't hesitate. He dropped the plate of food he was holding, and accompanied me as we moved to the back gate. Several dozen knights were following us, as we emerged out of the castle and began to descend the back steps. "Unlock the stables and ready the horses!" I commanded, so that the single guard across the field could hear me. My eyes followed the guard as he ran to the large wood stable, and the rest of us were pursuing quickly.

This was happening too quickly.

Onys, the knights and I began darting towards the stables, praying the guard would have all the horses ready by the time we were there. If they weren't, I'd have him beheaded.

It took us under a minute to cross the field. I flung open the stable doors, just as the last horse was saddled. "H-here you go, sir," the guard said. I didn't respond to him. I only dragged ny horse out by the reins, slipped my foot into the end of the saddle, and mounted the creature. Onys and my knights did the same in an even quicker manner.

I didn't need to give commands to anyone. I began riding around the castle to the front, and everyone with me followed. My head was racing with all sorts of thoughts, I couldn't even process what had just occurred. Why would someone murder a ward that wasn't even from the kingdom?

But, of course, my realization then hit me. Whoever it was hadn't meant to strike Charlotte. They had been trying to kill me, but missed by a foot. I hoped I would find whoever did this. I'd kill them myself.

As the guards at the front gate saw me approach, the steel doors were wrenched open, and I was allowed to pass through, the others following. However, I stopped abruptly. "Who shot that arrow?" I asked a guard to the left of the entrance. The guard looked to me. "There was a crowd of people in the marketplace, the arrow came from there. Then, someone in a light brown coat and dirty boots took off. He had dark hair, wasn't much shorter than you," he responded.

My horse began running yet again, and my group was now by my side. I think I already knew who it was. The sun proceeded to hit us as we began marching through the square, crowds parting as we moved through. There were small cries of "he went that way" and "I think I know him" all throughout the town as we rode through.

We were supposed to be pursuing someone with dark hair and a brown coat, but I could see no one like that. Mostly everyone's hair was light in color, and even if it were dark, they were either a woman, a child, or wearing nothing similar to a brown coat.

"Maybe he changed clothes," Onys suggested to me. I sighed loudly, realizing he could have been right. On top of that, the man could have also been wearing a wig. Yet, it was highly uncommon for criminals to be that intelligent. "Perhaps," I responded, "but we have to finish searching."

I dismounted my horse, tying it's reigns around the closest lamp post. "Onys, you come with me. Knights, spread out around the time and search for the man," I commanded. Onys happily followed me, and I watched as the knights moved haphazardly across the area we were in. It was a market area, and all eyes were on me. It must have a been an area of middle-class, yet they were all very humble.

The closest person to me was a taller woman with blonde hair that appeared to have been dyed a different color with fruit. Next to her stood another woman, a bit shorter, with undyed blonde hair. They both wore plain white dresses. "Have either of you seen a man in a brown coat, with dark hair?" I asked them. Both of their eyes widened, as if they had seen him. Perhaps they knew him, and were surprised.

Before either of the women answered, a young boy in a light green jacket appeared from behind the closest fruit stand, and darted towards the women. "Caity! Taylor! Where's the basket of peaches at?" The boy asked. I stepped back, looking down at the boy, and then back to the women. "S-sorry," the one with naturally blonde hair said to me. She took the child by the hand. "Haven't seen him."

I didn't bother asking any further. I exhaled loudly, and began making my way throughout the marketplace. Everybody continues to stare at me, and I chose to ignore it. I simply looked among the items for sale. Some of them I recognized as the foods the chefs bought me for my breakfast.

"Onys?" I said, turning back. I saw Onys standing at booth full of citrus, about to purchase an orange. "Yes?" He said, setting the orange down. The woman running the citrus stand frowned. "Follow me," I replied simply. Onys did as I asked, and we both began walking deeper into the marketplace. However, after a few steps, a figure promptly darted out from one of the stands. Everyone around us screamed, and jumped back in fear.

The figure began to run further into town. I didn't hesitate to draw my sword and follow after him. The man met the description the guard gave me. Dark hair, kept shaved short on the sides, yet longer on the top, and a brown coat, seemingly made of burlap. Unfortunately, he was far quicker than me. "Stop!" I yelled, hoping he would heed to my orders. He did no such thing.

The man turned a corner, as did I. It led to an alleyway, which could only be exited by the use of a rope ladder. As he was climbing, I could catch him.   He was almost half way up by the time I reached him. I stabbed my sword towards him, but he moved quickly, so that I only pinned his coat down. He quickly removed his coat and left me behind.

I knew I couldn't let him get away. I climbed up behind him, to see a perfect view of the grassland that split the kingdom in two. The man simply stood there, staring at me. I could now see his face, and it was exactly who I suspected.

I didn't think to stab him. I only stared intently at him, now noticing the bow in his hands and quiver of arrows slung around his back. "You're going to pay for that," I mumbled under my breath. He just smiled, and neared the edge of the roof. He jumped, and I moved forward, swinging my sword. I missed him narrowly, and as I looked down, I found that he had disappeared into the crowd. I had missed my chance.

Before I could return to the ground, Onys climbed up the ladder, greeting me. He moved to the edge and stood by my side, as we watched the crowd together. "Who was it?" Onys asked me. He surely wasn't aware of the criminals here. Elmont was a place of peace, crime was sparse, and when it did occur, it was typically minor.

"It was him," I said, my voice barely audible. I swung my leg over the edge, stumbling, but then catching my balance. I moved away from the edge, and faced away from Onys. My only view was the grasslands ahead.

"It was David."

(Well, now I hate myself. Have fun coping with your favs being antagonists or dying later on /: Sorry)